Advocate Treatment

Hereford

Just wanted to share my observations and a few chats I've had with my dog training guru.....

This time round on the wheel of fortune, our vet has been pushing the Advocate 'back of the neck' treatment for the new pup - duly I gave it a go.

Maybe 1-2 days later I could noticeably see a change in pups temperament - he was v. much more aggressive toward the family and JP when out. When I spoke to my trainer he was not surprised and reeled off a number of clients with all types of dogs who'd reported the same thing - apparently there is plenty of anecdotal evidence on the net about this (I've not checked).

What I would say though - we have dropped this treatment and gone back to the old faithful, Frontline - pup is calmer and not affected in any way.

This is not meant to be controversial - rather, a pointer (no pun intended) for anyone who may have seen a deterioration in behaviour every four months or so and is incidentally using this particular product - I will also add said product did what it said on the tin, obviously.

Hope this helps :thumb:

I am sorry to hear that your pup has been affected for the worst. Always a worry sticking strong, long lasting chemicals on them. Has your vet suggest you washed it off with a shampoo?

I used Advocate on my two little springers last year when the Frontline plus did not seem to be working any more. It cleared their fleas immediately.

Fortunately for me neither seemed to be affected by it personality wise.

Last winter when they were getting wet every day I bought a course of the new Merial product Nexgard which is in a soft chewable tablet form. They seemed to get on with that as well fortunately. No sign of change, no sign of fleas and the only ticks I have found in the six months since January…maybe a couple of dozen…have all been small and dead. With Frontline and Advocate I was finding two or three a week on each of them and frequently they were hugely engorged and always still wriggling.

Alan

Just wanted to share my observations and a few chats I've had with my dog training guru.....

This time round on the wheel of fortune, our vet has been pushing the Advocate 'back of the neck' treatment for the new pup - duly I gave it a go.

Maybe 1-2 days later I could noticeably see a change in pups temperament - he was v. much more aggressive toward the family and JP when out. When I spoke to my trainer he was not surprised and reeled off a number of clients with all types of dogs who'd reported the same thing - apparently there is plenty of anecdotal evidence on the net about this (I've not checked).

What I would say though - we have dropped this treatment and gone back to the old faithful, Frontline - pup is calmer and not affected in any way.

This is not meant to be controversial - rather, a pointer (no pun intended) for anyone who may have seen a deterioration in behaviour every four months or so and is incidentally using this particular product - I will also add said product did what it said on the tin, obviously.

Hope this helps :thumb:

Sorry to hear of your problems with the pup,

I have used Advocate on all 8 of my dogs with no side effects,

we we only like you only changed from frountline on the vets recommendation as it didn't seem to work so well on all parasites.

I do full time pest control there is a lot of resistance to fipronil round me. Sorry to hear about your pup I would look into other flea treatments in case you need them in the future

I am sorry to hear that your pup has been affected for the worst. Always a worry sticking strong, long lasting chemicals on them. Has your vet suggest you washed it off with a shampoo?

I used Advocate on my two little springers last year when the Frontline plus did not seem to be working any more. It cleared their fleas immediately.

Fortunately for me neither seemed to be affected by it personality wise.

Last winter when they were getting wet every day I bought a course of the new Merial product Nexgard which is in a soft chewable tablet form. They seemed to get on with that as well fortunately. No sign of change, no sign of fleas and the only ticks I have found in the six months since January…maybe a couple of dozen…have all been small and dead. With Frontline and Advocate I was finding two or three a week on each of them and frequently they were hugely engorged and always still wriggling.

Alan

Thanks Alan - agreed about the chemicals - he's been a different dog since then and changing onto wet (raw) food.

I am concerned that Frontline doesn't offer the kind of resistance it used to - I will investigate the Nexguard you mention - sounds like a good alternative.

Like I said, the Advocate does work - I'm wondering if I was reading too much into the behaviour change seeing as all posts indicate no issues!

Is it possible the diet change had a bigger effect than you appreciated & the Advocate was just coincidental?

Nexguard is the best I have used , found maybe 15 -20 ticks on my WHV after the weekends stalking trip all dead on the skin

Last edited:
In the interest of keeping the local flea population guessing I am intending to use Advocate in the summer and the Nexgard in the winter when you can't guarantee a 48 hours stretch of them not getting wet.

Alan

Is it possible the diet change had a bigger effect than you appreciated & the Advocate was just coincidental?

I think it might have been a combination of chemicals / preservatives in the dried food and the Advocate - since being on wet (natures menu) and no further chemicals he's been a lot better :thumb:

I forgot to add that one of the reasons I am going to use Advocate in the summer is that it deals with Lung Worm Angiostrongylus Vasorum which dogs can get from slugs and snails, and as the old springer has become something of a revolting slug hunter I am hoping it may act as prophylactic.

Alan

I have to alternate between advocate and frontline as advocate does not kill ticks I believe

Back