Thread: Peruke

Peruke

I have been fortunate this evening to come across a Roe Buck Peruke head, unfortunately it looks to have been deceased for a number of months.

i only found the head, looks like a dog has possibly picked it up and moved it close to a track as there was no other remains in the vicinity.

my question is when I picked it up it was solid bone, when I got home I tried to clean it up a bit with a bit of water but it quickly turned soft to the touch.

can anyone tell me what is the best way to tidy it up as it does smell a bit and has lost almost all it's velvet. It's pretty heavy and would need a bit of scaffold to hold it up rather than a small shield made of wood.

will post a picture tomorrow.

all input gratefully received.

Absolutely fantastic, what a find! Can you imagine what it looked like on the hoof?

No I'm not saying for one minute that anyone seeing this animal alive should not have immediately ended its misery, but I find roe malforms and oddities amongst the most fascinating trophies.

Well done for rescuing it so it can be preserved. I recall that Paul Taylor is mentioned in Dominic Griffiths latest book as having set up a jumbo perruke, so perhaps a member could put you in touch with him?

Novice

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Absolutely fantastic, what a find! Can you imagine what it looked like on the hoof?

No I'm not saying for one minute that anyone seeing this animal alive should not have immediately ended its misery, but I find roe malforms and oddities amongst the most fascinating trophies.

Well done for rescuing it so it can be preserved. I recall that Paul Taylor is mentioned in Dominic Griffiths latest book as having set up a jumbo perruke, so perhaps a member could put you in touch with him?

Novice
    Well done that man....reminded me of a thread from the past with his contact details:

Website for Paul Taylor taxidermist

P.S. Sorry, meant to say, that head is the find of a lifetime and definitely worth preserving
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Wow what a find! Definitely one to get sorted and put on the wall
    Starbucks. It's not my cup of tea.

Great find and could be worth a good few shillings.Imagine looking doon the scope and having that in the crosshairs.

Drew Bain would be the man to tell you the best way to preserve it, not sure if he is on here but would think somebody will have his contact details or I'm sure he will be at Scone Game Fair (in the measuring tent) in a couple of weeks time if you are coming down to that.

Moose

A very rare find Tam, I'd get it in the freezer then off to a taxidermist.

A pretty head the one in hard horn next to it too!