Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone using 52gr AMax in Sako .222's?

Anyone using 52gr AMax in Sako .222's?

I upraded my .222 to a lovely Sako S491 which in theory has the same 1:14" twist barrel as the BRNO fox it replaces

I initially had a quick plink with a cheap spare scope and some factory ammo and some of the 60gr SP and 52gr Amax home loads I had for the BRNO

not an exhaustive test but....
    50g Sako factory was average at around 1-1.5" groups
    55gr Sako Factory was worse at around 2-3"

My homeloads looked like they could be better than that but I was stringing them vertically which I finally put down to a reparallaxed (air rifle range!) scope giving massive POA shift on the slightest movement up or down

New scope fitted and a box full of home loads across the charge range for 60gr Amax and 52gr Amax

I tried the same charge as worked in the BRNO on the 60gr (20.6gr N133) first just in case it was tight without the need to play around
    Very tight!!
    Touching holes with the odd one off to the side by 1/4-1/2"
    Aslo shot another group at the end of the AMax charges to confirm. All good. Identical
    Leave that one well alone!!
    All done for a deer load.

Started the Amax loads at 22gr and went up to 23.2gr in 0.2gr increments (VV indicates a range of 21.1-23.1gr of N133)

Shocking. truly shocking with no apparent indication of any nodes in that range
    When I say shocking I mean 5-7" of shocking!!!
    Am going to see if the lower charge of below 22gr works but will be surprised if they suddenly shrink within the lower level of a 0.9gr range!

Am a bit gutted as they are normally a cracking bullet and were deadly accurate in the BRNO (added to the fact I have fecking hundreds of them from years of stock piling!!

Just wondering if anyone else has them working in a 1:14" .222 Sako or Tikka barrel ?
    (.223 doesnt count as they are faster twist)

I've got a Sako 75 Varmint 222 and use 21.4 gns of n133 with the 52gn a-max and it shoots a very tight group. The sako 55gn factory shoot about an inch and the 50gn factory shoot alot tighter, almost as good as the homeloads.
    Last edited by sundog; 18-06-2015 at 17:19.

Well that is promising but a very light load considering
    guess I need to start a lot lower than expected

Have you tried adjusting the bullets' distance from the lands? This will have more effect than altering the powder charge 0.2g up or down. I find (in my Sako 75 which is .223) that 20 thou' off the lands delivers very good accuracy, by which I mean sub half inch 5 round groups.

-JMS

Quote Originally Posted by JMS906 View Post
    Have you tried adjusting the bullets' distance from the lands? This will have more effect than altering the powder charge 0.2g up or down. I find (in my Sako 75 which is .223) that 20 thou' off the lands delivers very good accuracy, by which I mean sub half inch 5 round groups.

-JMS

interesting, I have never found OAL adjustments to outweigh charge levels for groups size
    am no bench rest shooter but my approach has always been
    - shoot a range of charges at a fixed OAL (either calibre depth or factory/book OAL)
    - find smallest group - adjust OAL either side of above OAL to fine tune

certainly the loads I have made for the previous .222 were done that way and charge levels showed a distinct drop in group size at the accuracy nodes

BUT...none of the groups including pushing heavy for calibre/twist bullets faster than ideal, were anything like as big as this!

seriously doubt I could hit any part of a rabbit at 100yds!

going to try lower charges, but it kind of defeats the point if I am running 52gr at sub 3k MVs

something occured to me

the holes are different

60gr holes:

2 in one hole

52gr holes:

note paper "splash" off to one side

These are showing the bullets to be unstable surely?

Looks very much like it, looks like they are tumbling. If you would like to get rid your A max's, I know someone who has just bought a realy nice BRNO fox.

tw@t....

may have to report it stolen at this rate!

Seating depth.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

, well hopefully it turns up tomorrow so I can play with it over the weekend, will send you a few pics to show you how it shoots. I'm sure we could dwork out some kind of deal for the heads