Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home loading

Home loading

Hi Guys,

I'm considering Home Loading to get better and more consistent accuracy. (I'm not too bothered about the cost saving at this stage because I don't fire that many rounds).

Thought about buying a 'kit' to get me started so any/all opinions would be welcome.

I'll be loading .222 (Waiting on FAC variation), .243 (Sako 85) and .270 (Browning X)

Cheers

Rocky
    The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by rockingod View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm considering Home Loading to get better and more consistent accuracy. (I'm not too bothered about the cost saving at this stage because I don't fire that many rounds).

Thought about buying a 'kit' to get me started so any/all opinions would be welcome.

I'll be loading .222 (Waiting on FAC variation), .243 (Sako 85) and .270 (Browning X)

Cheers

Rocky
    RCBS press and dies are good kit and will serve you well there are cheaper and there are dearer and better kits but in my view the price difference dosent warrant the difference and RCBS gear is good I have had mine in constant use for 30 years plus the only thing i have had to replace in that time was a primer feed arm that got damaged and that was my fault.

I bought the Lee kit and a few other bits and bobs. The accuracy i can now achieve with my short barrelled Sako Finnlight is outstanding. People slag off the Lee kit, they do not tell you how many world records have been set by Lee loaded ammunition. It is also interesting to talk to the importers of Lee, who used to do RCBS, and ask them how many returns of faulty goods they get from Lee.

Muir, one of our senior members who is a very experienced reloader, uses the Lee Hand Loading Kit and gets outstanding results.

I would suggest that you buy some reloading manuals first and foremost and read learn and inwardly digest before purchasing anything else. Because i wanted to load Hornady bullets I bought their reloading manual. I have the Lee manual which I got with the kit and i picked up the Lyman manual at a sale. I will buy more too.

There are some superb reloading sites on the web too.

I prefer a hand primer to priming on the press, I can actually feel the primer seat into the pocket. As well as whatever kit you buy you will need, a case lubricating kit (with neck brushes), a powder trickler makes life easy, a primer pocket cleaner, engineering quality calipers, a COAL guage, a collimator and I would buy a neck sizing die as well as a full sizer. I also was given a jewellry sonic cleaner for case cleaning.

If you do some searches in the reloading forum, you will find most of the answers to your questions, there are some very helpful people on here

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I'll second that, use RCBS all the time for .243, no problems. I bought a Redding set for .308 and had issues with shoulder dents until I changed to resising wax rather than fluid. Cases still seemed sticky in Redding FL decapping/resising die. Changed to .308 RCBS competition dies - brilliant.

Great hobby - good luck

Stew

In my opinion the kits are a good value starting point but you will addd to it in time and forget some of the basic tooling that comes with them from standard,a good source of information would be Aftab at reloading solutions he will try not to sell you anything you dont need and all of the gear in the shop comes with the bonus that he has used it at some time himself ( product not the actual piece hes going to sell you ),mind you best put a few hours to one side if he is not busy as the man could win medals for chat.
    Great service is an added bonus and a standard next day delivery
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

I started off with the Lee kit, but didn't keep it long.

Everything worked fairly well apart from the neck die but all the tools looks and feel cheap and flimsy.

Most of my kit now is Redding although I still use the Lee priming tool, some tasks just don't require precision instruments.

I'll second the recommendation of Reloading Solutions, first class people, stock and service!
    Last edited by kingstonandy; 14-04-2010 at 07:52.

Aftab at reloading solutions must be doing something right, see the length of his ques at gamefairs, I gather he has now opened a shop

I ummed and arred over which kit to get when i started and decided to get something that was going to last as i'll hopefully be loading for many years yet.I ended up going for the RCBS Rockchucker kit which is great,indestructable press,good scales the only thing i haven't used yet is the hand primer as the press comes with a primer arm so i've used that so far.I also got a stand for the powder measure which comes with a spout and a built in trickler which makes it easy to throw just under weight and trickle the last few grains for spot on charges.On reflection now i'd have maybe been better buying the pieces separately and instead of the powder measure set up gone for the electronic dispenser combo which would have done away with the need for the scales as well,could have done with out the speer manual as well and got the Lee one instead.Don't forget you'll need a case trimmer as well,and dies of course,i've got RCBS dies and they are well made but Lee are cheaper and will fit the press just the same.Whatever you get i'm sure you'll find it an interesting extension to our sport and save a bit in the long run but once you start you will shoot more that's for sure.
    Neil.
    Last edited by Dawnraider; 14-04-2010 at 10:47.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnraider View Post
    I ummed and arred over which kit to get when i started and decided to get something that was going to last as i'll hopefully be loading for many years yet.I ended up going for the RCBS Rockchucker kit which is great,indestructable press,good scales the only thing i haven't used yet is the hand primer as the press comes with a primer arm so i've used that so far.I also got a stand for the powder measure which comes with a spout and a built in trickler which makes it easy to throw just under weight and trickle the last few grains for spot on charges.On reflection now i'd have maybe been better buying the pieces separately and instead of the powder measure set up gone for the electronic dispenser combo which would have done away with the need for the scales as well,could have done with out the speer manual as well and got the Lee one instead.Don't forget you'll need a case trimmer as well,and dies of course,i've got RCBS dies and they are well made but Lee are cheaper and will fit the press just the same.Whatever you get i'm sure you'll find it an interesting extension to our sport and save a bit in the long run but once you start you will shoot more that's for sure.
    Neil.
    No you did right getting the powder thrower and you most definitely needs scales of some description you cant rely on either manual or electronic throwing in powder each and every powder throw should be scaled off.

Quote Originally Posted by Caprelous View Post
    No you did right getting the powder thrower and you most definitely needs scales of some description you cant rely on either manual or electronic throwing in powder each and every powder throw should be scaled off.
    The electric dispenser combo does come with digital scales but i would have concerns over their long term reliability to be honest,i guess with the set up i have there isn't much that could fail or go wrong so probably a wise choice in the long run.
    Neil.