Thread: The long and the short of it; two rifles in .30-06?

The long and the short of it; two rifles in .30-06?

I bought a Winchester 670 last year, and have been quite pleased with the accuracy, the smoothness of the action, and the trigger.

I've now found a Model 70 for sale at a decent price, and am considering buying it, having the barrel shortened, fitting a 1.25-4x20 scope that I have and using it for pigs and driven shooting.

So having two pretty much identical rifles, just with different barrel lengths and scope set ups; good idea, or bad idea?

T_T

sounds like a fine idea

Just done something similar with .222

one long with high mag scope
    one short, break barrel single shot, chopped to 18" with a low mag scope for CQC

And I've nearly done it - 7x65r combination gun - travelling and close range stuff, and with big bullets and a 275 Rigby bolt action which once I have mounted a 6x42 or similar will be for hill use.

I counted on my hand, from memory, and may have missed a few, but I think I own 14 rifles in .30-06, so you have my blessing. Barrels run from 22 inches on the Rem M700s to 24 on the Steyrs and 1903 Springfields, and 26 on the Browning B78.

Not seeing your rifles, I would suggest not chopping the Model 70 Winchester. Which model is it? If a Standard or Supergrade, it will be 24 inch barrel without sights, which will really get the potential out of the '06. If it is a 22-inch with sights, it is 7.25 lbs and easy handling, and the Featherweight with 22" and 6.25 lbs even more so.

I have owned more than a few Model 70s. I have a .308 Featherweight ( my son's, a gift from me but at my house now) and a 7mm-08 Compact with 20" barrel and 1.25-4x22mm Burris on it. They both point quickly. I would expect the 22-inch .308 to swing a bit better with a little more weight out on the muzzle, but have not tried that. If you look at some of the most impressive shooting of driven game, you will see a lot of Sauers and Steyrs with 23.6" barrels, or shorter battue rifles with heavier barrels; they have found what works is some weight out on the muzzle.

I once owned an old Mannlicher Stutzen in .30-06 - great hunting rifle for the mountains and woods, but a lot of muzzle blast, much more than my 7mm-08.
    Last edited by Southern; 19-06-2015 at 12:46.

I wouldn't chop that barrel down lass than 22", else you'll have trouble getting full burns from that cartridge. There's alot of research on shorties of which I've read a fair bit. I chopped a .308 win down to 18" and can still achieve almost full burns and legal velocities without too much trouble. With the 3006 you're gaining a bit of MV on a given bullet weight but that comes from burning more powder in a bigger case. That burn takes longer and so needs barrel length to make full use. At 22" you'll find it very handy on the driven stuff without too much recoil and blast. That's my two pence worth I'm sure someone will pull it to bits though.

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    I wouldn't chop that barrel down lass than 22", else you'll have trouble getting full burns from that cartridge. There's alot of research on shorties of which I've read a fair bit. I chopped a .308 win down to 18" and can still achieve almost full burns and legal velocities without too much trouble. With the 3006 you're gaining a bit of MV on a given bullet weight but that comes from burning more powder in a bigger case. That burn takes longer and so needs barrel length to make full use. At 22" you'll find it very handy on the driven stuff without too much recoil and blast. That's my two pence worth I'm sure someone will pull it to bits though.
    I think that is sound advice.

Good idea alot of people wont get the idea.

CQC - Close Quarter Crows ?

I get the idea behind this, and have myself got two sauer 202 synthetic rifles. One in 6.5x55 swed the other in .308 win. As you I wanted to feel completely comfortable with either rifle regardless how often I use it or not. So trigger, hand hold weight etc pretty much exactly the same. They just are a little more suited to particular use in my mind. I now have a 3006 barrel which will go on either of them but mainly to regain the ability to shoot larger bullets in .30 cal should I wish to go on a trip to Africa or shoot boar.
    I have had other rifles for less frequent use but found they felt strange on those odd occasions I picked them up.