Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scope mounts on Sako 85

Scope mounts on Sako 85

Hi chaps,

I have just had a new scope fitted to a new Sako 85 with new optilock mounts but I'm sure it doesn't look right.

The gun shop assures me it is correct but should the front mount really be overhanging the breech? See image.

Because the scope rails are tapered on the Sako 85 there is no way the mount can be moved forward.

Thanks

StigClick image for larger version. 

Name:	breech.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	58192

No it's not right something is amiss with the muzzle side mount it should not overhang the breech the standard optilocks should be like the ones my own 85 shown, they are obviously not standard optilocks take them back and get the correct ones for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0061.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	270.4 KB 
ID:	58199

No its not correct. It should look like this http://www.sako.fi/scope-mounts They have probably put bases on the rifle that are for a shorter action length (5 different lengths with Sako).

Belay that, I have just had another look at the photo, what they have used is an offset front mount. So its still wrong and its still because the wrong front mount has been used.
    Last edited by 8x57; 19-06-2015 at 12:36.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

That's what I thought... but when I questioned it he said that because it was a longer action (30-06) to get the eye relief required it would be as it is shown and these were the correct mounts.

But the ring height does not permit the correct positioning of forward mount (on the action) due to scope objective size and short tube length.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

I'm sure you could fit the short bases on the obj end , also bear in mind the further your mount goes down the dovetail it pushes your scope further off centre ideally you want to be flush with your breach cutout as depicted by DLZ90 s pic which will be online with the barrel bore axis

is your action long looks it if so, they won't stop the ejection just look wrong but not he may have fitted them as your scope wont take the other type and allow you to get good eye relief that you need : just looked on my list and they look same as this mounts just lock in dove and pinch bolted
    :SAKO EXTENDED
    L61R / L691 M995 / TRG-S 75 / IV - V
    S1700958 S170R958
    also found you another long action with your mounts
    and owners statement: Q Yea I am very happy with it. The only thing I can think of is that the front bases come over the action part. It doesn't interfere with the cartridge on extraction though and I guess that is what matters.

Last edited by paul o'; 19-06-2015 at 13:05.

Yours are exactly the same as my 85 in .30-06 which has the longer action. I can not get on with the standard mount rather than the extended like yours because of my stubby little neck, I can't get the eye relief with the standards.
    The ORDNANCE QF 18 pounder Field Gun......I wonder if they will let me have one of these on an open ticket

Quote Originally Posted by stig View Post
    Hi chaps,

I have just had a new scope fitted to a new Sako 85 with new optilock mounts but I'm sure it doesn't look right.

The gun shop assures me it is correct but should the front mount really be overhanging the breech? See image.

Because the scope rails are tapered on the Sako 85 there is no way the mount can be moved forward.

Thanks

Stig
    Stig.

You seem to have picked a scope with a very short tube and the gun shop have mounted it for you as best they could. You've also selected a rifle with a proprietary mounting system. I think you need to reconsider what scope/rifle you use. I attach a picture from my archive of a Swarovski scope on a Sako 75 (243 Win). The scope can be slid forward or back by about an inch. I have sold this Sako 75. In the unlikely event of purchasing a Sako 75/85 in the future, I would first fit a picatinny rail before mounting a scope on it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3/IMG_0900.JPG

Regards

JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 19-06-2015 at 14:28. Reason: amended words

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post
    also bear in mind the further your mount goes down the dovetail it pushes your scope further off centre
    am confused by this
    why would it push it off centre?

the male and female dovetail have the same angle
    push forward until they stop and tighten

the OP's picture shows an extended base, it still has to be pushed forward before tightening