Thread: Flea & ticks

Flea & ticks

Hi guys I have a Cocker spaniel she is 6 now and I have never had a problem with fleas or ticks until this year. I normally treat her with spot on every 6 weeks. Until this year I had never seen a flea on her but every 2 or 3 weeks now I notice the odd 1. Any idea what I can try to stop them?
    Regards dan

Quote Originally Posted by danban View Post
    Hi guys I have a Cocker spaniel she is 6 now and I have never had a problem with fleas or ticks until this year. I normally treat her with spot on every 6 weeks. Until this year I had never seen a flea on her but every 2 or 3 weeks now I notice the odd 1. Any idea what I can try to stop them?
    Regards dan
    Try regular swimming in sea water.

Advantix. Think you need to get it from the vets but it's pretty good stuff.

There are a few other threads on here about this.

When Frontline did not seem to be effective I tried Advocate which cleared the fleas immediately. Last Winter when the dogs were getting wet every day and I could not guarantee they would not dilute the stuff before it had got into the pores, I used Nexgard tablets which are made by Merial, the Frontline company. I have seen no fleas and it has been very effective on ticks, the ticks do not seem to last long enough to engorge and every one that I have found has been small and dead. Unlike frontline when they were still wriggling and had filled up when I took them off. I am going to use Advocate for a few months in the summer because it is good for lung worm and the old dog has become a revolting slug hunter! Advocate is not designed for ticks so I will be observant and always carry an O'Tom tick twizzler.

Alan

Cheers guys I think I'll give the advocate a go.

Don't forget to do the house/car/kennel with acclaim or RIP type spray - preventing any further infestation from the environment

try garlic tabs, but you must keep them on all the time ,it apparently keeps leas, ticks ,midges off dogs and humans

I use frontline for 6 months of the year (colder winter weather) then switch to advantix for 6 months. The advantix is better for tics and I think switching every 6 months stops any immunity build up, I use religiously every month and have never found a flea or tic on any of my dogs for the past few years