Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perceptions of ?

Perceptions of ?

I wonder why our deer stalking activities are pushed to the back of the queue in telly terms, when you can spear an octopus, & swim however far it is back to the beach, with your prey squirming around on the spear, shoved through it's central mass? camera man getting all of it on record, no hue & cry about that! not having a dig in any way at the fishing methods, but what separates these activities in the mind of the anti's? if the octopus was all furry, would it be different?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Steve, there is nothing like a furry, soft, damp Octopus, well it might not be an Octopus but it smells fishy anyway

I would think octopus are right down the bottom of the list in the creature popularity stakes? Probably somewhere near rats and wasps?
    A squirrel is little more than a rat with a fluffy tail, but you'll encounter a lot more criticism for killing a squizzer than you would a rat.
    You are right in your title post - it is all about perception.
    MS

Media to blame for humanizing animals , Disney biggest culprit

Paul

One thing that has annoyed the antis no end is the proof that fish are incapable of feeling pain. Of course that doesn't apply to aquatic mammals and I don't really know about octopi.

its the total fascist approach that winds me up,do as i SAY not as i do.totally anti in their doc martins and matching handbag ,both made from leather i believe
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Quote Originally Posted by tozzybum View Post
    its the total fascist approach that winds me up,do as i SAY not as i do.totally anti in their doc martins and matching handbag ,both made from leather i believe
    Leather guaranteed to be from selected ugly cows only.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    I wonder why our deer stalking activities are pushed to the back of the queue in telly terms, when you can spear an octopus, & swim however far it is back to the beach, with your prey squirming around on the spear, shoved through it's central mass? camera man getting all of it on record, no hue & cry about that! not having a dig in any way at the fishing methods, but what separates these activities in the mind of the anti's? if the octopus was all furry, would it be different?

Sentience.

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    Sentience.

Sharkey
    Well I must admit, I had to look that one up!
    Sentience is the ability to feel, perceive, or experience subjectively. Eighteenth-century philosophers used the concept to distinguish the ability to think (reason) from the ability to feel (sentience).

Always good to learn a new word though!
    MS

Its an important concept in the "animal rights v animal welfare" argument. I love it when the antis trip over this, but most often its our own side which looses ground & shoots itself in the foot with this one, i.e. not knowing that pigs are similar to dogs when it comes to sentience. Treating pigs & dogs equally in regards to animal welfare is correct IMO (implying that dogs should be treated better than a pig is falling into the animal rights trap & usually supports the premise they are attempting to justify).

As hunters & conservationists it is very important that we can understand & argue, (but only if you can argue it well, if not, don't, particularly not to the media) concepts such as sentience, anthropomorphism, specisism & most importantly how animal liberation is very different to animal welfare.

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."