Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Roe

My first Roe

It was on Friday morning that i had the chance to stalk my first Roe. I met Malcolm on his estate at 4am and we headed out after a brew.

It was an absolute cracker of a morning and there were plenty of Does about. After spotting a nice Doe in one field we decided to head around to see if she had any company and sure enough at about 120 yards a Buck showed his face, but not for long enough. As soon as the sticks were out he decided that he didnt want to hang around to see what all the noise was about! We could still see the Doe keeping her distance on the far edge of the field and decided to sit for a while and see if the Buck would to come back in the field. After a good wait we decided to continue and see if he was in the next field. And about five steps later BOOM up he shot from the field in front of us and bolted. There was no way he was going to hang around any longer.

I was extremely excited by this stage and was hoping that another Buck would present itself. There were plenty of Does enjoying the morning sun and surely there was a Buck for me somewhere. After a little walk back up to another field sure enough tucked away on the left side was a little fella looking straight at me. He walked a few steps and presented himself perfectly broadside, the sticks were deployed and he was on the crosshairs in no time, steadied myself and took what i thought was a perfect shot to the kill zone. But there was no bullet strike heard, the deer showed no reaction to being hit, and a big puff of dust came up from the ground. I looked at Malc and said surely i did not miss him from 80 yards! I started thinking had i knocked my rifle and the scope was out, I honestly thought i had nailed him. We walked over to the where the deer was standing and there was not one drop of blood. By this stage i am gutted that i could of missed such an opportunity for my first Roe. Anyway Malc tells me not to worry and that sometimes the deer do not show a reaction, and then gets Todd to see if he can track him. You could see that he had picked up some scent and was quickening up, still no sign of any blood though. We must of walked close to another 100 yards with Todd leading the way and getting more eager with every step until finally lying there in the bushes was my first Roe Buck. I was over the moon.

I had no idea that a deer could run that far with a good shot placement, The bullet had struck him in both lungs and just clipped his heart and he still ran on for 100 yards!

So after a great morning and my first Roe in the chiller i went home and waited for the evening as i was heading out again with Malc for an evening stalk.
    Got to Holmbush for 6pm and started as we did in the morning with a nice cuppa and i listened to a few of Malcolms stories while we waited for the deer to start moving. We drove out to a different field where the estate manager had said he had seen a few Bucks the previous night. Sure enough after about 10 minutes we had seen two Does already. We walked to the opposite edge of the field she was in and she did not take her eyes off us the entire way. We then bumped another Doe on to the adjacent field and decided to follow her to see if there was company with her. And sure enough after a little stalk through to the next field there was two deer there. After inspection one of them was a nice Buck and the sticks were out rifle ready. The shot had some cover in front so could not take it and the deer was slightly looking back at us so it was a waiting game to see if he would hang around long enough for a decent clean shot. I picked up the rifle and sticks as one and started side stepping to the right in the hope to get a clear shot without him spotting me, I decided i had as good a position as i was going to get and re set myself, and just as i did Mr Roe Buck took 2 steps out into my clear sightline and i squeezed the trigger. This time you could hear the clear whack of the bullet and after about a 20 yard dash he dropped. A nice 6 pointer and my first little trophy.

I had just got 2 Roe Bucks in 1 day and had a smile from ear to ear. A big thanks to Malcolm for your company and guidance for the day mate, i will always remember it. Oh and without Todd i probably would of never even found the first fella so thanks to you pal!

Sam

Well done ...I wonder if this post gets 79 replies like the last one

Well done mate, 2 stalks and 2 bucks grassed doesn't get any better than that,

excellent write up up and again, well done pal,

atb

kjf

Hi Sam,

Enjoyed your company mate, and well done on taking 2 bucks in a day. As you know i managed to take a further buck the next morning which was the first deer ever for the client. Unfortunatley the weather took a turn fir the worse Saturday evening and we did not manage 4 bucks in 4 stalks.
    Look forward to seeing you later in the year on the Fallow.
    Well done again on the 2 bucks.

Best wishes
    Malc
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

well done pal a nice read

Well done sam i will bet you replay everything in your mind a dozen times over!!!and well done to malc for getting your first and second buck,regards doug,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by s8mdevo View Post
    I had just got 2 Roe Bucks in 1 day and had a smile from ear to ear. A big thanks to Malcolm for your company and guidance for the day mate, i will always remember it. Oh and without Todd i probably would of never even found the first fella so thanks to you pal!

Sam
    that Malcolm fella may be a bit off kilter, but Todd is top notch !

Warming Todd up for tomorrow as we are back at it right through to late Sunday night. This time we are after a medal head. Having seen 2 good bucks over the past few weeks we will need a little bit of luck on our side to get onto them and find them as the cover is certainly up high already and the last time I saw one of the big boys it was laying in a hay meadow about 50yds away at 9.30pm. It jumped up and made for the nearby wood with very little time to access him properly.

Long days and short nights at the moment.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Good luck with it. Will be awaiting some pics of the beast if you get lucky