Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild pig species

Wild pig species

I was thinking about the many hunting 'challenges' around the world such as the Big 5 and the UK 6 and I got thinking about wild pigs worldwide.
    The ones I can think of are:
    Wild Boar (many countries in Europe)
    Warthog (many countries in Africa)
    Red River Hog (Central to Western Africa)
    Bushpig (Eastern to Southern Africa)
    Peccary (Southwest North America, Central and South America)
    Giant Forest Hog (mainly Guinean and Congolian forests)

Not counting wild boar from every European country as they are all the 'same' just differing in size and colour. Nor am I including feral pigs in America or Australia.

Any which could be added to the list?
    Last edited by Greener Jim; 21-06-2015 at 18:19.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

I've shot Mauritian wild pig. In Mauritius funnily enough. I believe they have their own sci classification so perhaps slightly different to a bog standard feral.Either that or the mauritian authorities saw a marketing opportunity ��

Novice

Had a go at peccaries once in New Mexico down near the Mexican border with some ami friends, we slept tooled up in case of illegals hitting the camp, never had such a black night absolutely no light pollution at all it was wonderful.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    Had a go at peccaries once in New Mexico down near the Mexican border with some ami friends, we slept tooled up in case of illegals hitting the camp, never had such a black night absolutely no light pollution at all it was wonderful.
    Martin
    Sounds like a great night mate. I reckon I could probably get that past the missus as well
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    I was thinking about the many hunting 'challenges' around the world such as the Big 5 and the UK 6 and I got thinking about wild pigs worldwide.
    Nor am I including feral pigs in America or Australia.
    Any which could be added to the list?
    Some of the wild boar in the America and Canada, though not native, are not feral. And some are from feral stocks so long ago ( Hernando de Soto ), as to be totally reverted to the wild now.

Several examples:
    1890s - wild boar from Bavaria and Russia were stocked into a 19,000 acre fenced hunting preserve near Asheville, North Carolina. They eventually escaped, and populated the mountains of western NC, SC, and eastern Tennessee. There were lots of small farms and apple orchards, lots of oaks and acorns. They pretty much stayed there, and were kept under control by local hunters, until rivers were dammed up in the 1970s, forcing them out of dense wooded river bottoms. They moved out into northeast Georgia, and down the Saluda and Savannah River basins to the National Forests and Parks along the Congaree River, and into the 500 square mile area around the Savannah River Nuclear Research facility, where there is some hunting along the periphery to control them.

Polish wild boar, imported into a high fence preserve in the 1970s, escaped during the flooding and fences downed by huge trees felled by Hurricane Hugo, and spread through this same swamp. Domestic swine also escaped and some have crossed with these big pigs.

Eastern European wild boar, stocked in fenced preserves in Michigan and Ontario. Some will surely escape before long.

Distinguishing Feral Hogs from Introduced Wild Boar Texas Natural Wildlife

Feral sow and feral-Euro-cross from Savannah River basin. And a 707-lb boar killed near the original stocking of Bavarian and Russian boar in Hooper's Bald, North Carolina, January 2015. Charged the hunter, then turned. He shot it at 30 yards with a Ruger 1-B .25-06.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feral-sow-srns.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	58417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feral-euro-X-srns.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	58418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nc-boar-707lb-sm.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	58419
    Last edited by Southern; 23-06-2015 at 14:57. Reason: article & photo

I read on an American Forum a while ago that Peccaries are not pigs? Interesting reading, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peccary

Right, peccaries are not pigs, except by common name misclassification, though they look a lot like them.

Here you go the full list including the wild boar deriv's
    Suidae

From the look of some of the 'wild boar' trophy pictures that people post on here and on Facebook, the wild strains also include Tamworths, Gloucester Old Spots, Saddlebacks and the odd Iron-Age cross too