Thread: Shmidt and Bender scopes

Shmidt and Bender scopes

Can anyone explain explain to me why S&B Hungarian made scopes are not as desirable or fetch the same prices as German made ? Is there any difference in the manufacturing process or any lowering of standards ? Do S &B still operate two factories in each country ?

Thanks

They are just as desirable, it was just that their new selling price was lower due to cheaper labour compared with in the German factory and so their second hand price reflects this fact that they cost less new.

It has been said, and I've no idea if this is true, that the Hungarian scopes are actually the ones to buy as they have the same components etc. and so are optically the same but they undergo quality checks both in Hungary and also in Germany before they are sold. I'd guess the Germans want to be sure the "cheap" labour in Hungary are keeping the standards up. Anyhow, this means the Hungarian scopes are checked twice while the German scopes are only checked once so there is less chance of a fault sneaking through on the Hungarian ones.

You can buy either with confidence.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    They are just as desirable, it was just that their new selling price was lower due to cheaper labour compared with in the German factory and so their second hand price reflects this fact that they cost less new.

It has been said, and I've no idea if this is true, that the Hungarian scopes are actually the ones to buy as they have the same components etc. and so are optically the same but they undergo quality checks both in Hungary and also in Germany before they are sold. I'd guess the Germans want to be sure the "cheap" labour in Hungary are keeping the standards up. Anyhow, this means the Hungarian scopes are checked twice while the German scopes are only checked once so there is less chance of a fault sneaking through on the Hungarian ones.

You can buy either with confidence.
    Quality control in Hungary for all the German firms manufacturing there - Audi, Daimler etc - is very stringent. S&B made a mistake by printing "Made in Hungary" on their scopes - Audi does not do so with their cars, do they. scopes or cars, they are just as good, if not better - some of the cars certainly are - than the German equivalent. As the man said: Buy with confidence

Can't see a problem. If the cost base is less, it will be reflected in the selling price. No problem. The warranty is the same isn't it & I cannot see the German parent allowing poor production elsewhere to carry their name to the gutter.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Thanks do they still manufacture German made scopes or is that production line closed now ?

Most of their scopes are made in Germany, it is only a limited selection of models that are made in Hungary.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Cheers caorach or should I call you guru of scopes ��