Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boat advice for a complete boat novice!

Boat advice for a complete boat novice!

Folks,

I am looking at a 16ft boat with a fiberglass body, its an old "Newman" boat (circa 1970's) it has an Evinrude 30hp outboard which runs but wont go into gear, a trolling motor, trailer, lifejackets, an electric depth/fish finder etc.

The boat body is in pretty good condition and all watertight from what he tells me, it was registered this year and so has been on the water within the last year.

A person I know is looking to sell this and I was considering a cheap boat for going out on the lake, nothing too serious just for taking the wife and kids out locally.

So what would be a roundabout figure I should be offering, I have no experience with boats but have pulled apart plenty of 2 stroke motors and can fit any parts it needs myself.

The other oddity is it's here in the states, so by all means comment what you would give in the UK for something like this as I'm just curious.

Regards,

GixerClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Boat1.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	58357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boat4.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	58358
    Last edited by gixer1; 22-06-2015 at 17:11.

An old engine with problems would probably be binned here, parts can be difficult to find and expensive. However, they're made over there so may be different.

Boat without engine next to nothing unless a collectors item, 100 / 300. I've had old boats given to me as they're money pits to rebuild. You think it a great deal then you find the steering cable's knackered, then the engine controls, then the screen's a bit rough, then the seats need doing (cheap I'll admit as I do them myself).
    It soon adds up and you still have an old boat.

Go round it carefully and check everything, make a list and total up the cost. Allow some for your time and see if that's what you want to spend on an old boat ?

As said above, an old fibreglass runabout = a couple of hundred quid. Think of it as just a bare hull - strip it out and refit to your own requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    An old engine with problems would probably be binned here, parts can be difficult to find and expensive. However, they're made over there so may be different.

Boat without engine next to nothing unless a collectors item, 100 / 300. I've had old boats given to me as they're money pits to rebuild. You think it a great deal then you find the steering cable's knackered, then the engine controls, then the screen's a bit rough, then the seats need doing (cheap I'll admit as I do them myself).
    It soon adds up and you still have an old boat.

Go round it carefully and check everything, make a list and total up the cost. Allow some for your time and see if that's what you want to spend on an old boat ?
    Thanks Rodp, It appears the parts for the motor are available and relatively cheap (a whole powerhead is $125 here on ebay) it has new front seats and an old bench seat in the back.

Do things like the trolling motor and depth/fish finder make the deal any better?

Regards,

Gixer

i had the exact same outboard on a sea boat that me and two pals bought , the bloody thing was nowt but trouble , having them break down out of morcambe bay ,is not something I want to repeat , it scared me so much I gave the lot away and wouldn't trust another !

Thanks VSS, the layout is pretty much what I wanted any way (seating for 5, a steering wheel and a throttle!) as mentioned I just wanted something basic and under $1000 dollars which this falls well within...

The good thing over here is you get the weather more often and warmer water to use it in!

Regards,

Gixer

That looks as if you'll spend more time fixing it than the family will using it.

If you're in the US look for an aluminium Jon Boat (try the local Craigs List) which are great, safe, run arounds and you will get your money back when you sell it.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    Thanks Rodp, It appears the parts for the motor are available and relatively cheap (a whole powerhead is $125 here on ebay) it has new front seats and an old bench seat in the back.

Do things like the trolling motor and depth/fish finder make the deal any better?

Regards,

Gixer
    Second hand trolling motors fetch a few quid here, nowhere near as much over there I wouldn't think, and how good is it ? Fish finder should be looked upon as a bonus unless it's a very good one, a bit like buying an old car here with a working stereo.
    As said above, old engines can be a right pain and downright dangerous at times. The trolling motor will not push the boat against a decent current, best it will do is steerage.

Powerhead for 100 or less

Having said all that, there's nothing like doing an old boat up, they just look so good when done

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Second hand trolling motors fetch a few quid here, nowhere near as much over there I wouldn't think, and how good is it ? Fish finder should be looked upon as a bonus unless it's a very good one, a bit like buying an old car here with a working stereo.
    As said above, old engines can be a right pain and downright dangerous at times. The trolling motor will not push the boat against a decent current, best it will do is steerage.

Powerhead for 100 or less

Having said all that, there's nothing like doing an old boat up, they just look so good when done
    The boat will be used on a local lake which is around 5500 acres and only a couple of miles from my house with an easily accessible launch ramp, I was looking at the aluminium jon boats but they seem to fetch higher prices as people apparently like the shallow draft of them here (just what I was told)

My thinking on the motor was that if it can't be repaired there's a 30hp working outboard for sale on my local craigslist for $500 (although again due to my inexperience I don't know if you can just mount this on the boat I have?)

As I don't know if I will be leaving in 1 year of 4 years I didn't want to buy anything that worst case I couldn't just hand to a friend over here if I needed to and not worry about a big loss.

the steering and everything appears to work and the cables look in good enough condition in the places they are visible but again this could be my ignorance in not knowing which specific places to look!

I guess worst case scenario it wont run but will give me some experience pulling a boat motor/gearbox to bits!

regards,

Gixer

Cables should be smooth and rust free, just operate them and give them a tug etc. Engines come in two sorts, long shaft and short shaft, just make sure the prop is in the same place when measured from top of transom (the board across the back) Any engine should just bolt on the back but you may have to re drill some holes and block others up. If you change the engine don't be surprised if you find the original is slightly off centre, some fit them like this to counteract prop rotation, some don't bother.

That's about all I can remember, not had a boat for a while now due to losing a nephew in a boating accident, I doubt I shall step in one again.

One thing I will say is ................. WEAR BUOYANCY AIDS AT ALL TIMES My nephew and the girl didn't, they're no longer with us !