Admin ' How about SD sew on badges etc.

FrenchieBoy

Just a thought (Something that I may have missed) and if that is the case can someone point me in the right direction please.
Does "The Stalking Directory" do any sort of merchandise? How about like "The Stalking Directory - Member" Sew On Badges for sale to members? Would this not be a good way to help raise funds for the continued administration and running of The Stalking Directory and give the members something to show and wear with some pride?
Any thoughts from either Admin or Members?

SD baseball caps, T-shirts, branded camo and stickers to go on rifle stocks too please...:tiphat:

(he says, tongue in cheek)

Last edited:
So the best form of market research is suggesting re-branding may be in order??

Cheers!

K
:D

No, it's not a branding issue as such. I don't know how many paid-up site supporters there are, but that probably gives a good indication of the number of people who value the SD sufficiently to part with a small amounts of money. Most users who feel some level of attachment to the brand if you like are probably paying supporters already. There will be a big overlap anyway. So then you have the question of what proportion of these will pay for branded merchandise, and then simply whether that warrants a profitable production run of any stickers, teeshirts, patches and so on.

But then of course, you could just run a survey asking people whether they would like any of this stuff and what they would be prepared to pay for it. I suspect you'd find it's not that many people, maybe 50 or 100.

We had all of these for sale in the site shop sometime back. However we did not get enough support to continue with it.

Actually sikamalc I offered to get some embroidered badges made up a few years ago and you said it was being looked at and to "wait out" and nothing has been said about it since, the reason at the time was the difficulty we had recognising each other while meeting up at game fairs and the like.I think it is one thing to be buying baseball caps and T shirts/polo shirts and totally different for a small badge that can be mounted on favourite items of clothing,a bit less like a uniform.

Last edited:
Or what about an increase in the support fee allowing to receive stalking directory merchandise.....

T-shirt, bade, car sticker etc.......

is this a website or a club...if becoming more of an organisation and such, a complete restructure to a BDS type of approach should be considered, otherwise, call me crazy, but it's an online forum and a resource for when you are bored or need answers to something bugging you...

I hope I haven't opened a can of worms here for admin, if so then I appologise!
However there are some pretty sensible answers that have been posted. I wasn't aware that there had been any merchandise offered in the "Site Shop" in the past - Come to that I didn't even realise that there was a "Site Shop", so that shows how little I know!:doh:
I can understand what some might be saying or thinking about not wanting The Stalking Directory to start looking like a "Club" or an "Institution" with "Uniforms" including things like Baseball Caps, Tee Shirts, etc, - After all this is an Internet Forum and not a "Club" (As PKL has rightly pointed out)
However the question remains - Do any other members think that something like a simple "Sew On Badge" or a Car Sticker" might be of help to recognise each other at Game Fairs, Meets, etc, especially for those members who have done quite a lot to help other members out and not asked for anything in return - And before anyone says/thinks it I am not trying to include myself in that catagory.
Maybe a Poll/Survey might be worth carrying out (As long as members backed up any positive answers about wanting to see merchandise available by buying the "merchandise" that they say they would on the survey) An alternative to that could be a small "Price Rise" for "Supporters" which could cover the costs of something like a Sew On Badge (Or something along those lines) - I for one would be willing to pay a couple of pounds more each quarter if this idea was deemed practical!

Please note: I'm not for one minute trying to say "This is how things should/ought to be" - I'm just thinking out loud to see what others think!

Actually sikamalc I offered to get some embroidered badges made up a few years ago and you said it was being looked at and to "wait out" and nothing has been said about it since, the reason at the time was the difficulty we had recognising each other while meeting up at game fairs and the like.I think it is one thing to be buying baseball caps and T shirts/polo shirts and totally different for a small badge that can be mounted on favourite items of clothing,a bit less like a uniform.

We had a number of offers at the time if my memory serves me right, and I can only apologise if I did not get back to you. JAYB was at the time in negotiating with a local company to him who eventually produced the goods and also undertook the dispatch of the items.

T Shirts, Base Ball caps, fleeces all with the logo on.

The amount that was bought was not worth the effort in the end and I believe the company we used folded?

The trouble is without a company that would organise the dispatch of said items at source we would have to find the time between the 3 of us to pack and dispatch.

I will speak to my colleagues about it again. Re Branding IS NOT going to happen, we purchased the whole rights when we bought the site and I have no intention of changing it.

Funny how those that suggest such things are not supporting the site by being a supporter of it :rolleyes:

As Malc said above, we spent quite a lot of time a few years ago setting up a shopping cart system which would process payment and send the order direct to our supplier to dispatch. It worked well but after an initial surge of interest sales dropped right off when people had bought what they wanted and then it just became an administrative burden... we couldn't maintain any bulk discounts because the volume wasn't there so the prices kept going up and because we'd been maybe a little too ambitious with the range of products it meant continually editing and amending a large stock and price list. Because of this we probably even sold some items at a loss!

Maybe it would be more realistic to offer just a few limited products and dispatch once a week, I don't know...

If anyone knows of reliable suppliers who can do things like enamel badges, cloth badges let us know, just wish we had more time to dedicate to it!

Alex

is this a website or a club...if becoming more of an organisation and such, a complete restructure to a BDS type of approach should be considered, otherwise, call me crazy, but it's an online forum and a resource for when you are bored or need answers to something bugging you...

Good question. If it is to be a club, then there would be a general membership fee, with constitution, accounts, committee etc. This site is a long way from that sort of set up. For me it as a trade directory with a forum...

I'd be interested in the 'Save the Red Dot' pin badges - keep us posted......

I think that, in order to have overall membership appeal and dependent on one particular current membership status, any such badge would need to have replaceable prefixes as in.

Save the...

Ban the..

Bring back..

F**k off..

Red Dot?

I think that, in order to have overall membership appeal and dependent on one particular current membership status, any such badge would need to have replaceable prefixes as in.

Save the...

Ban the..

Bring back..

F**k off..

Red Dot?

Not to forget:
My boar scope is a...

Back