Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Botswana

Botswana

Anyone hunted here?

If so, how does it compare to elsewhere in Africa? Discovered an amazing looking, mahoosive private reserve for plains game hunting and am seriously considering going.

I haven't done any shooting out there for over 40 years, so I can't comment on your company as I don't know who they are. I still have contacts out there. On a general note it is the very best country in Africa to visit. Safe, honest and with wonderful people. (You might guess I am a bit of a fan)

David.

The people are indeed wonderful, but anyone thinking of going hunting there should be aware that the government has for years been persecuting the Bushmen, the original people of the Kalahari, and stopping them from hunting for subsistence. The fact that the Bushmen won a court case for their right to continue hunting (with the help of a British lawyer who's now been banned from the country) hasn't stopped the government recently banning all subsistence hunting in the country – a move clearly aimed at the Bushmen. See http://www.survivalinternational.org/news/10593

I have not heard of that particular reserve however Botswana gives you the unique opportunity to be guided by the bushmen which in itself is worth the visit but also the trophy quality is very good, i.e. 60" kudu.

The reserve is high fenced, but it's 120,000 hectares or 296,526.458 acres in size complete with leopard, rhino and cheetah, whilst they won't be hunted it would be nice to hunt in an area with those animals around.

Does anyone know how easy it is to take your own rifle etc?

Pretty straight forward your outfitter should be able to provide the forms and guidance, I would complete the paperwork well in advance of your trip.

I hunted there in 1990.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ75 View Post
    Anyone hunted here?

If so, how does it compare to elsewhere in Africa? Discovered an amazing looking, mahoosive private reserve for plains game hunting and am seriously considering going.
    yes i do a lot! Where is the reserve perhaps i know it and the Outfitter?
    Patrick Reynecke (Bushwack Safaris)
    Web: http://www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
    Mobile:+27 82 773 4099
    Mail: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwack View Post
    yes i do a lot! Where is the reserve perhaps i know it and the Outfitter?
    Tholo.

Just came back from Tholo safaris and it was the best PG hunting that I have done to date,a first class operation now run by Jason Bridger who moved over when Kanana went bust , to hunt with the Tswana bushmen was a real honour and some of the finest tracking that I have seen, we took some great animals and got up very close and personal with a rhino
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	358.6 KB 
ID:	58443