Thread: Freestanding Highseat

Freestanding Highseat

Hi All

I am looking for any ideas on building a wooden freestanding highseat that can be transported if required.

Do any of you have any plans i could copy ?

I have got some freestanding metal seats i have made and they are great but weigh too much to move around.

Cheers

Prov

You say the weight is the issue with your metal seats, I would suggest that a safe wooden seat could well weigh a deal more than a well designed metal seat, and would be more difficult to make transportable. I have made a folding free stander with an aluminiul ladder and 2 14ft scaffold poles to make up the tripod, using swivel couplers to allow a degree of folding up. It has wire stays to stop the legs splaying, a timber seat and a shooting rest made from 1" BSP water pipe. I don't have a design as I made it up as I went along but next time I'm in Wales I'll take some photos to give you the gist of it, will be a few weeks though.

Thanks for the reply. I have a couple of wooden "lean too" seats and they are pretty light so wondered about adapting them to free standing ones. The ground i am putting them on is new to me so i may have to move them once i find the deer's favoured areas.

Cheers.

I am doing photographic plans at the moment. I have emailed the tower to a site member. Doing the deck at the moment. When you say transportable, These take about 15 minutes to build. 3 main elements to carry in plus a load of bits so 4 trips to site to get them there. As has already been said wood is not a light medium to build with. To build one that is transportable to use on a day trip try Bushwear for the panther at 305. It is the best you will do.
    If you want a set of plans pm me an email address
    Jim

jimbo
    just watch out for low bridges
    that is portable but not in the way i imagined

Provider, I just remembered seeing something similar on here before. It's not quite what you want, but might give you inspiration.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...igh-seat-plans

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Hi flytie. Thanks for the link some good idea's there. I like the folding one , good idea.

Prov

Quote Originally Posted by BwchDanas View Post
    You say the weight is the issue with your metal seats, I would suggest that a safe wooden seat could well weigh a deal more than a well designed metal seat, and would be more difficult to make transportable. I have made a folding free stander with an aluminiul ladder and 2 14ft scaffold poles to make up the tripod, using swivel couplers to allow a degree of folding up. It has wire stays to stop the legs splaying, a timber seat and a shooting rest made from 1" BSP water pipe. I don't have a design as I made it up as I went along but next time I'm in Wales I'll take some photos to give you the gist of it, will be a few weeks though.
    I agree, a strong wooden seat will almost certainly outweigh a metal one and will require far more care when transporting. One option, if you have existing lean-to seats, is to simply lean them against a tripod made from timber poles. This may not sound very secure but I have seen it done and as long as the poles are long enough, substansial enough and it is all fixed securely then it works well. JC