Tikka T3 Varmint in .270

Siggy

Hi,

I'm looking for a rifle for shooting Fallow in big open fields and was thinking of getting a 270. Because I like my rifles Finnish, I was thinking of getting a Tikka T3 Varmint. It would have a the secondary purpose of using it up in Scotland some day so would need to be carried long distances. I'm pretty lightly built so I was thinking the weight of a varmint barrel would tame the recoil somewhat. I had a look at a Tikka Varmint the other day and was impressed with the balance and it didn't feel to heavy.

Any opinions on the pros and cons of this would be of interest.

Suspect the varmint would feel okay in the shop for 5 min but you may end up cursing it after a day on the hill. I use a T3 lite in .270 and mod for reds. Mod really tames the recoil. A great working tool.

Last edited:
I had a T3 Lite SS in .30-06 with the standard hard recoil pad, with a Burris 3-9x40 scope, weighing 7 lbs loaded, and I did not notice any recoil, even with shooting in just a T-shirt. I won it in a drawing, and later sold it to a friend, who loves it for mule deer and elk. I replaced it with a 7mm-08, because I already had a dozen .30-06s. I think a T3 Lite in .270 would be super hunting rifle for a wide variety of game. The T3 stock is a good design for a scoped rifle, and tames the muzzle flip.

I also have a 6-lb Mannlicher Stutzen in .270 ( when just using its iron sights), and don't notice the recoil.

So my suggestion is to get the standard .270, and if you find the recoil pad too hard, replace it with the pre-fit Limbsaver. You will get tired of toting around the extra weight a lot sooner than you will tire of the recoil from one shot in the field that topples over your deer. If you don't like the recoil at first, just load it down a bit, to 130-gr bullets at 2,800 fps, and shoot that a while - plenty for deer inside 300 yards. Then just step it up to normal loads when you need to.

I'll second the T-3 Lite. As David T wisely suggested, a Varmint weight barrel feels great in the shop but turns into a boat anchor in the hills. I own a 308 and 7-08 T3 Lite. My buddy owns a 30-06 and one of the clerks at the Trading Post just bought a 300 Win Mag Lite. I shot it today and that gun did get my attention while dressed in only a t-shirt and jeans on a sweaty 93F degree day. I fired a full magazine from it though and it was controllable. You carry a rifle day in and day out and you shoot it for a millisecond. Frankly, if you're like the majority of shooters you won't notice the recoil in the field. Get a Lite. You'll love it. And if you handload, you can back the load down for practice and crank it up for hunting.~Muir

Had a guy come stalking with the same model in 308, he normally shot from a high seat, all was well for the first half hour, after that it became a labour of love, he has since sold it, and bought a lighter gun, mind you I must attract people with heavy guns, another turned up with a TRG in 308, he carried it like a sledge hammer by the end of the day.

I have a 204 Varmint model. A touch front heavy and you cant really do off hand shots, but all in she's grand! Il regularly do 10 mile days with it on the hill without any problem. Just get a good sling and leave your tampons at home ;)

Having two heavy barrelled rifle's presently and I f the finances allowed, I would rebarrelling both in the morning . I have a heavy sako 75 stainless which I have had chopped, by 4 inches but honestly it still is too heavy .
The other is a R93 with heavy fluted 24.5 incih barrel in an otherwise sporting configuration. But if you really want a heavy barrel set up the blaser is worth considering, the overall length is still the same as a 22" tikka (because of the reciever). I had a t3 when they first came out and would have one again in the morning . The issue I had was all the mods at the time weighed a tonne.So if 270 is the caliber then tikka lite stainless with Atec/ hardy/Hausken .
The blaser will be a more expensive option but you could get a semi weight barrel in 270win at a cost. For me the tikka takes some beating.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm looking for a rifle for shooting Fallow in big open fields and was thinking of getting a 270. Because I like my rifles Finnish, I was thinking of getting a Tikka T3 Varmint. It would have a the secondary purpose of using it up in Scotland some day so would need to be carried long distances. I'm pretty lightly built so I was thinking the weight of a varmint barrel would tame the recoil somewhat. I had a look at a Tikka Varmint the other day and was impressed with the balance and it didn't feel to heavy.

Any opinions on the pros and cons of this would be of interest.

My mate had one of these but after one week with me on the stags he went home to the Cotswolds and sold it and now has a new 101 in 270

Mine has a heavyweight sporter 24" barrel and lightweight aftermarket stock, plus an ASE UTRA mod which screws onto the end and appears to be made from degraded plutonium, so the whole plot is decidedly nose heavy. It stabilises the shot from a rest/bipod, and there's not too much flip, but is a bit of a b*gger to lug around. I'll get a lighter mod one of these days...

Well, I've got my variation back, just a case of waiting for the funds and the right rifle... ;) happy days

I have a 243 t3 varmint which shoots half inch groups all day. It has a very light dpt mod and in terms of carrying it around its no big deal. In my humble opinion the rear rub with the weight is not the carrying of it but the general handling. It's just too heavy. I have just bought a t3 lite in 308 and it's just a much more easier gun to handle.
Bryn

My tuppence worth...

I recently got a .270 for similar reasons, and did a lot of thinking and research.

In the end, got an old (60s vintage) Sako. Wooden stock and full length (24" barrel). It is heavier than current fashion prefers, but well balanced and handles well.

The extra weight and the long barrel mean the recoil is not noticably different to my .308, and in field conditions, I don't notice it at all.

I shoot it without a mod, and find it a joy to carry.

And last week I shot a deer free hand with it for the first time in years. Very satisfying.

is a varmint barrel any heavier than strapping a t8 or t12 on the front?

I also shoot a unmolested .270 in walnut and blue, 24" barrel, weighs in just shy of
Get it fitted to you...and I mean properly
with a 7+lb rifle scope combo you shouldn't notice the difference between shooting a 100 .243 load, a 150gr .308 load or a 130gr .270 load....or any other for that matter

I have this model and very happy I also had a .243 lite but sold it as I seemed to use the .270 all the time, I have stalked up arran with this gun with no problems, mind if you in your 60s then I may understand what other people are saying, I'm only 5foot 9 (yes small) and I have no problems, great rifle.

I had a T3 super varmint in .243 with a T8 on a bit of a lump to carry up and down hill but a good accurate rifle, I have a .270 now with an Atec maxim on but from the dark side superb but we will leave it there.

Back