Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boar and Red rifle wanted but what can I take to France?

Boar and Red rifle wanted but what can I take to France?

So I know this has been discussed a few times but I heard, but can not clarify that you can now use a .308 in France for Boar if it is your own rifle that you take with you. Can anyone help me find out where I can confirm this?

Otherwise, .270 or 30-06 or 6.5x??

Love to know your thoughts.

Thanks

Nick

No restrictions now on using 30-06 or 308 or 6.5x55 in France. The 7x64 is very popular on the continent though with good reason. Flat shooting with 140 or 154 gr and plenty of thump with 173gn bullets. .270 would ideal in the mountains, but possibly not so good on driven boar, but these days there are plenty of good tough bullets about. 30-06, same as the 7x64 - very good all rounder and with the right bullet in the correct place will take out any animal on this planet. OK probably not first choice or legal choice for large dangerous game, but plenty of buffalo, bear, lion etc regret having come across it.

That restriction on military cartridges for hunting has been removed for everything except for calibres specifically made for current assault weapons. It's over. I offer as proof the fact that every French outlet is flogging .30-06 like it's the latest new thing. Which it is in France. So your .308 is fine.

Here you are, everything you need to know:
    http://www.ancgg.org/AD18/documents/rubd5_5964.pdf
    Last edited by Pine Marten; 24-06-2015 at 10:06.

i agree the 30.06 is the new red hot calibre in France , There where Lots of 30.06 & 308 at the French Game Fair at the weekend ..

Out of the dozen or so times that I have either hunted or overnighted in France with guns I have never had a gun inspected, but I think you are right in assuming that the restriction on military calibres has been lifted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian 1 View Post
    [...] but I think you are right in assuming that the restriction on military calibres has been lifted.
    Oh it's not an assumption, it's the Law:
    Décret n° 2013-700 du 30 juillet 2013 portant application de la loi n° 2012-304 du 6 mars 2012 relative à l'établissement d'un contrôle des armes moderne, simplifié et préventif
    !

Thanks for all the great replies. On that note I now have to decide between 308 or 30 06!!!!

any suggestions?

thanks

N

Out of those calibers for reds and boar ... I would say 30-06. Very versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by nickcutter85 View Post
    Thanks for all the great replies. On that note I now have to decide between 308 or 30 06!!!!

any suggestions?

thanks

N
    30-06 is an all time great, but really only comes into its own if you pick ammunition for what you are after, ie. it's not a one round do-it-all gun, you will be using light 130g'ers for one thing and 220g round nose for heavy stuff in the bush, maybe with 165g for flatter hill shooting or 180g for boar.

.308 can of course also handly ammunition weight ranges, however, is perhaps more of a one round do it all with a mid-weight bullet in 150g or 165g.

the '06 is a long round, the .308 is short, so there is a 'slight' difference in bolt throw length and if for running game, the .308 probably just has the edge on that front.

I've owned both, actually a couple of each, and I probably enjoyed the tradition of the 30-06, but the .308 was much more pleasant to shoot.

don't discount the 7mm's!!!! personally I'm off 30 cals...well...ok, I am building a couple of 300H&H's just to be a complete hypocrite! LOL,,,but for deer species, goats, plains game, boar, etc. 7x57 or 7x64 are really attractive too.

that said, if you are buying 2nd hand, you will have excellent choice of rifles in the .308 class too, and ammo will be available everywhere.

30-06 without question & i have both it gives you a greater range, more stopping power & is defo the better choice for boar. theres a beautiful Sako in westcountry guns with grade 5 wood that has almost tempted me a few times lately, but i cant have 2, can I?
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!