Thread: Factory load split necks and col shorter than original batch

Factory load split necks and col shorter than original batch

Hi guys,

Just some advice please.

The original batch of 222 I had grouped like a clover leaf. The replacement batch shoot awful approx 2 "plus. Have fired 13 cartridges with 2 of the necks splitting. 1 right on the end of neck the other split nearer the shoulder. The COL is on average 0.0235 " shorter than the original batch plus the primers are a different colour.
    Difference in purchase time between batches is 14 months but I do not know how old the original batch was. I believe the new batch to be recently made as I have been waiting for 6 months for this batch as the manufacturer has given these as a goodwill gesture due to loading 2 bullets in 1 case, albeit in a different cal.

Should there be such variation on one batch to another ? Are such variations likely to cause such a difference in the grouping?

So I have now fired the rifle with different makes and all is well with grouping, so my rifle doesn't seem to like this new batch.

I have 127 of these left. So is it safe, to use a kinetic hammer to draw the bullet forward in the neck and then seat to the original batch length to see if this makes a difference. The other alternative I have would be to pull all of them and work a load from the bullets and powder but as I don't know the powder type. would this be safe. I.e as where to start with a load weight. I do still have 4 cartridges of same make of 2 different batch numbers which the rifle loved. I could pull these to measure the powder to do a comparison.

so any suggestions on best way to deal with these ?

thanks
    Last edited by charlieboy-shooter; 26-06-2015 at 11:15. Reason: Added more info

Hi,

I have edited the original post, added lot more info, sorry if this is cheating by reposting. but what to do with 127 cartridges. I'd rather make use of them than give away.

Thanks

is the case length, not col, on the splitting batch exact to .222 specs or undersize? if undersize you go back and get a replacement from where they were sold, if they are to case specs then you may have excessive headspace, but that would be odd if the first lot was ok, etc. etc. etc. just worth keeping an eye out for.

make Fiocchi.

Fired Case length of new batch is longer than the originals.

new batch case length range 1.6935 - 1.720" with split neck cases 1.6975 & 1.6950

original batch case length 1.6850 - 1.6935 with most cases measuring under 1.68--

so if anything the original batch had undersized cases. But the col was longer in these too.

is this the first ammo you try in this rifle or have you tried other ammo than fiocchi? if tried other brands, how did they fare?

.222 cases should be 1.7" so they're pretty close to spec.

could be a really poor batch of ammo and causing case failures....have you checked for pressure signs?

Yes, have used, Remington SP & BT, Federal SP, Fiocchi BT & home loads. Rifle generally shoots very well but absolutely loved all previous Fiocchi's BT. Only time I had bad grouping was when I increased the COL on my home load to match the original Fiocchi factory load and also increased COL so nearer the Lands. Once I went back to book COL on my home load group size was good again. To date the rifle has shot all factory loads around 1" or less with the Fiocchi generally touching if I do my bit. Other than crap group and 2 split necks there seems no pressure signs.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    is this the first ammo you try in this rifle or have you tried other ammo than fiocchi? if tried other brands, how did they fare?

.222 cases should be 1.7" so they're pretty close to spec.

could be a really poor batch of ammo and causing case failures....have you checked for pressure signs?