Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeing more boar in summer

Seeing more boar in summer

Over the last 5 or 6 years i have occasionally seen boar while out stalking usually just before dark , this summer so far i have seen or got on to boar on 4 different outings obviously depending on the sex i try to get a shot at them . On last nights outing we saw a big male from about 600m away , quick call to the farmer to make sure we had the all clear and then stalked in on him .
    Anyone stalking with me now who has an interest in taking any boar seen on outings needs to have a suitable calibre , on one occasion we got in on a 80kg male but only had a 243 , numbers are on the increase for sure and land damage getting worse , these areas will be my priority on last part of my outings now until we get one or two
    Hopefully my client will do a write up about last nights very exciting outing
    Zeiss Pro Stalker and Agent for Starlght Night Vision

A 100 grainer .243 Win should do the job with a good shot placement even though it is below the for instance German legal minimum caliber, Aussie have even used .17 Rem to do head shots.
    Martin

I do think a .243 is a little on the light side for wild boar. For the last 20 years my boar hunting in Germany is with a 3006 and yes it can be suitable in the right hands with a well placed shot. But to be fair and sportsman like, as my German hunting friends say. the animal you hunt deserves all the respect you can give it and that means a suitable caliber of bullet.

Last October I stalked stags in Cathness and it was a requirement by the estate that a 30 caliber weopon was to be used. I have shot stags with my .243 with no difficulty but a 308 was more suitable

Given the increasing population of boar I hope you clients Solwaystalker enjoy the boar hunting you offer them as they are a most interesting animal to hunt. There has been the odd sighting of boar in the Angus Glens I gather.

Donsider

Home Office guidance is for .270 or bigger, clearly a .243 falls somewhat short of this. I too have shot big red stags with my .243 but clearly it would not be conditioned for boar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    A 100 grainer .243 Win should do the job with a good shot placement even though it is below the for instance German legal minimum caliber, Aussie have even used .17 Rem to do head shots.
    Martin
    Wouldnt dream of trying it with 243 on a boar this size

Having hunted Wild Boar, in Germany, for a number of years, I could not agree more. A .243 is good for the smaller game, but, in order to do the animal justice, one should not think of trying anything less that a .270; and prefer the larger .30 calibers. Hunting Wild Boar with a .243 is like chasing a big bear with a small switch.

I use an 8mm and, to date, have never had an exit wound. This shooting from no more than 30 meters away.

I am looking forward to the day I can get my FAC/SGC and get back into the "hunt". Wild Boar are a very interesting prey; to say the least.

I shoot around 70 reds per year ,quite a few stags are shot with 243 and my opinion is its not heavy enough on big Galloway stags i also shoot around 20 boar per year some as heavy as 140kg , its a totally different ball game to shooting deer , theres no point taking chances
    Attachment 58501 Attachment 58502
    Try shooting him with a 243 at 100m you are very likely going to have a very angry boar

The mild winter was kind to the boar and i sure we will see more boar around my place this year. There are young males about but as yet have not seen any sows with young on the camera at the feeding place. I've not checked the camera this week but I'm sure they are about in the forest somewhere.

All those who shoot boar with an unsuitable calibres should be made to track them naked when the boar runs off wounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    The mild winter was kind to the boar and i sure we will see more boar around my place this year. There are young males about but as yet have not seen any sows with young on the camera at the feeding place. I've not checked the camera this week but I'm sure they are about in the forest somewhere.

All those who shoot boar with an unsuitable calibres should be made to track them naked when the boar runs off wounded.

brilliant

Lots about with us this year Colin could be a fun winter even turning up at 2.30 in the afternoon.

atb

Wayne