Sako by Colt, actually a Tikka

Sounds like a typical public sector way to acquire a product at twice the cost of the commercially available standard product.

They may have to look elsewhere!

Colt Defense LLC have just filed for section 2 bankruptcy due to a cancelled military contract and a drop in sporting arms sales of 30%.

They may have to look elsewhere!

Colt Defense LLC have just filed for section 2 bankruptcy due to a cancelled military contract and a drop in sporting arms sales of 30%.

Isn't Colt Canada a completely separate company?

Last edited:
Why don't they just use a standard tikka t3?

Because the standard T3 was designed as a sport rifle and not a military rifle. The new rifle should be far more durable and with a detachable 10 round magazine and alloy bottom "metal" rather than synthetic.

Looks like an interesting idea though surely a Ruger Scout does this already?!?

So it does, but the Ruger Scout not a rifle I'd want to stake my life upon in extreme climates. Give me a Tikka any day for durability and reliability.

Plus Ruger weren't the first, Parker Hale built a Scout Rifle yonks ago.

So it does, but the Ruger Scout not a rifle I'd want to stake my life upon in extreme climates. Give me a Tikka any day for durability and reliability.

Plus Ruger weren't the first, Parker Hale built a Scout Rifle yonks ago.

And Rugers are pieces of cr&p. The Tikkas for the Rangers are being barreled in Canada using Colt barrels. They must have some "commonwealth" specification in their procurement regs. Otherwise, I'd have issued them out-of-the-box T-3 Lites and sent them afield.~Muir

Saw this on Facebook, I like it, good solid rifle fit for intended purpose.

laminate,,,well, let's just see how that holds up to the temperatures..jury's out in my book. Irrespective, well thought of rifle, obviously nothing a good old military mauser 98 wouldn't have done...interestingly I think the designers tried to take some ideas of well and truly tested field rifles and build into a well rounded modern solution. for example, the protected rear peep sight from the AR, the piccy rail for scopes or red dot or flashlights, the protected front sight which is a bit like that of a persian mauser front sight, etc.

Personally, it looks pretty decent, but there's no controlled round feed and the mags are pretty small. I would have loved to have seen a similar concept on an M98 action, and I think the rangers would have enjoyed that too, perhaps with AICS mags in CDI precision bottom metal and a good synthetic stock.

I would also have put a small piccy rail by the front sling stud for a lower mounted LED torch in case of night work.

laminate,,,well, let's just see how that holds up to the temperatures..jury's out in my book. Irrespective, well thought of rifle, obviously nothing a good old military mauser 98 wouldn't have done...interestingly I think the designers tried to take some ideas of well and truly tested field rifles and build into a well rounded modern solution. for example, the protected rear peep sight from the AR, the piccy rail for scopes or red dot or flashlights, the protected front sight which is a bit like that of a persian mauser front sight, etc.

Personally, it looks pretty decent, but there's no controlled round feed and the mags are pretty small. I would have loved to have seen a similar concept on an M98 action, and I think the rangers would have enjoyed that too, perhaps with AICS mags in CDI precision bottom metal and a good synthetic stock.

I would also have put a small piccy rail by the front sling stud for a lower mounted LED torch in case of night work.

You talk as if this is a combat rifle. ~Muir

You talk as if this is a combat rifle. ~Muir

ha ha ha,,well, no, but purpose is similar in construction - ie. it has to be fully dependable and reliable and servicable in the field, with well protected sights and ability to accept a scope/other optical mechanism. If you come off the quad 100 miles inland from nearest road network and smash the scope and bend the front sight, you're really up Sh11t creek for the sake of using the rifle for protection against bears as an example, apart from point and shoot using bare barrel essentially. Unlikely you say? well, consider when you're out on the bike and similar happened but you were in a region with man eaters...

not combat rifle, but share similar requirements in terms of construction IMHO.

Give me a laminate stock any day of the week!

As I say, fit for purpose with a tried and tested rifle.

Give me a laminate stock any day of the week!

As I say, fit for purpose with a tried and tested rifle.
As long as the bonding is bloody good, serious frost and or humidity can split less than perfect laminate. Will never happen with good walnut or quality synthetics, just one thing less to worry about imho. That said, I say quality walnut and synthetic that doesn't bend or warp. Nothing wrong with high end laminate either I do agree...apart from the way it looks! LOL

Back