Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is it worth it ?

Regular Poster

is it worth it ?

I have recently taken up reloading,spent a lot of money on all the kit,only to find that in my part of the world,trying to buy powder,bullet heads ect,is like looking for rocking horse shyte.
    what is the problem with supply in the north of England !! I wish I hadn't bothered now,its so frustrating-rant over

what do you need?

some stuff at Weldon Gun room, some at Bagnall and Kirkwood etc
    few bits and bobs around the borders

all depends on what you can buy
    get it when you see it!

True it can be a bit of a pain sourcing components.....
    It can also be a pain sourcing factory ammo at times.

I tend to use readily available powder rather (so imr 4064 instead of varget for .308)
    And buy a couple of tubs at a time, before I'm at the end of my last tub.

projectile's I tend to find one that works for me and my rifle and buy 300, I'll look to replenish when I get to 50 left.

so I guess having a bit of stock works for me and allows me a little time to find more when I need to.

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    what do you need?

some stuff at Weldon Gun room, some at Bagnall and Kirkwood etc
    few bits and bobs around the borders

all depends on what you can buy
    get it when you see it!
    Weldon promised me my choice of powder/bullet heads for my 22 hornet over 2 months ago, never had a phone call yet.i also spoke to bagnall and Kirkwood, didn't have what I was after either,also been around just about every dealer in Northumberland/Tyneside,i did not know h110 and 40g bullets were that rare !

Quote Originally Posted by thomas243 View Post
    I have recently taken up reloading,spent a lot of money on all the kit,only to find that in my part of the world,trying to buy powder,bullet heads ect,is like looking for rocking horse shyte.
    what is the problem with supply in the north of England !! I wish I hadn't bothered now,its so frustrating-rant over
    mix it up, buy some good factory ammo you are happy with, and reload when you feel like it and you come across the components you want to use. my reloading gear is seeing less and less use these days I have to admit...

‎I share your frustration re component availability but the answer to the question lies in what you are loading for and attempting to achieve.

Putting aside I have no choice as I'm producing wildcat ammo, I would still do it if only to feed my 22 Hornet. As Muir has pointed out the Anschutz approach to chambering for this round is not best suited to achieving top accuracy and in consequence I never found a factory load that would group better than 2.5" at 100 yards in my 1432. With Lill-Gun, 35g‎ V-Max and preferred OAL (sorry, but it does make a difference in my rifle) it will now turn in .5" ten-shot groups if I do my part at the bench.

K‎

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.‎
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

I have some reloader 7 and some 2400 if you want to try with your hornet.
    I am just over the border in Cumbria but often work in Haltwistle area.
    Bob
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Can be a bit of a constant trial?

You may wish to consider starting out with European made powder and primers, unfortunately not been able to find expanding missiles from Europe locally but still looking.

Do it safely and enjoy.

I have found that it is frustrating and sometimes painful trying to get what you want but lots of guys do have the stuff you want, occasionally bargains crop up on hear or a begging post for unwanted powder often uncovers a good stash.

Bottom line is that once you get started, even without components at the 'right price' you still produce ammo greatly below the costs of commercial offerings

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by reiver View Post
    I have some reloader 7 and some 2400 if you want to try with your hornet.
    I am just over the border in Cumbria but often work in Haltwistle area.
    Bob
    thanks bob.i have managed to source the last tub of h110 from Bradford stalker,however 40g projectiles seem in very short supply.