Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VWT To Release Pine Martens in Mid Wales

VWT To Release Pine Martens in Mid Wales

Just reading my local newspaper where I find an article saying the Vincent Wildlife Trust is to hopefully release the first 20 Pine Martins into the Mid Wales countryside this Autumn

Not heard of any consultation or impact studies carried out before reading this article which does concern me.

What's thoughts or additional information does anyone have ? The article says they have looked at sites from Snowdonia in the North down to the Cambrian Mountains and the Vale of Neath in the South.

Gaz
    Last edited by Gaz; 25-06-2015 at 20:38.

Any release, should follow IUCN guidelines

https://portals.iucn.org/library/sit...s/2013-009.pdf

public consultation is a primary feature of any release within the UK.

Thanks for the link BS, some interesting reading. I am not aware of any public consultation whatsoever, so I was shocked to say the least when I read the article, and will try and find out more information. The release is already being backed by our Welsh nature tv presenter Iolo Williams.

http://www.vwt.org.uk/news/dwindling...nancial-boost/

By the information in this link, it sounds a done deal .... don't know how they can advertise the "community liaison" statement.
    Last edited by Gaz; 27-06-2015 at 21:31.

I don't see the problem, they're a native Welsh species on the verge of extinction and need a boost.

maybe they are a native species , but i would question the wisdom of boosting their numbers , that has happened here in ireland despite what the authorities say . i suspect they were given a helping hand to control greys in forestry plantations a job they have done well as it's 4+ years since i have seen a grey but now what will they eat lol . All we will be left with in a decade or so are martens buzzards and foxes .
    The pine marten is a blessed nuisance worse than any fox or cat they kill for sport and have little or no fear of man, penned game birds or poultry stands no chance with them and they are nigh on impossible to keep out any predator that can gain entry to a pen by climbing at least 30 ft up in the trees and kill over 250 16wk old poults in one night and can eat a hole through a shed roof and kill over 70 fancy bantams in 20 different pens inside is a formidable foe .

here is a large male i found dead this spring , it is by no means the largest on i have seen, there is a very good reason why they had become scarce
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 30032015389.jpg  
    a barony original

I lived in South West Scotland in the 80's and the local anti brigade masquerading as some sort of Nature conservation body along with the RSPB, put up Owl boxes all along the Cree Valley, right down the estuary as far Creetown.We the local Wildfowling Club advised against this as the Pine Martin population would sort them out and they did, McDonald's for them,desimated the Barn Owl population,
    for some time,the boxes were taken down.Wf1

For the last 6 months every day I've had 3 Red squirrels visit my bird feeders, sometimes more but what looked like the same 3 every morning first thing. On Saturday, 4 pine martins were in the garden and surrounding trees and since then I've seen 1 squirrel.
    they are voracious predators and will decimate the bird life in their area.
    Beware!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo Salar View Post
    For the last 6 months every day I've had 3 Red squirrels visit my bird feeders, sometimes more but what looked like the same 3 every morning first thing. On Saturday, 4 pine martins were in the garden and surrounding trees and since then I've seen 1 squirrel.
    they are voracious predators and will decimate the bird life in their area.
    Beware!!!!
    That is exactly why I would like to see what the impact study has in its report.

Quote Originally Posted by landkeeper View Post
    maybe they are a native species , but i would question the wisdom of boosting their numbers , that has happened here in ireland despite what the authorities say . i suspect they were given a helping hand to control greys in forestry plantations a job they have done well as it's 4+ years since i have seen a grey but now what will they eat lol . All we will be left with in a decade or so are martens buzzards and foxes .
    The pine marten is a blessed nuisance worse than any fox or cat they kill for sport and have little or no fear of man, penned game birds or poultry stands no chance with them and they are nigh on impossible to keep out any predator that can gain entry to a pen by climbing at least 30 ft up in the trees and kill over 250 16wk old poults in one night and can eat a hole through a shed roof and kill over 70 fancy bantams in 20 different pens inside is a formidable foe .

here is a large male i found dead this spring , it is by no means the largest on i have seen, there is a very good reason why they had become scarce
    A big plus one.They are worse then mink in my eyes.people are only seen the damage they are doing now after years ago they have been released