Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Roe farming

  1. #1

    Roe farming

    Have it on good authority that Roe farming is starting up in the uk,curious to know more about it if any body has any info?? never thought this would be easy due to the lifestyle of roe deer,could this be the beginning of the end for wild shot deer????

  2. #2
    Hmmm to be honest I would think it doubtful. The returns would be negligible due to size and weight. Roe are not easy to keep in captivity due to dietary requirements.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by N.F.W.M View Post
    Hmmm to be honest I would think it doubtful. The returns would be negligible due to size and weight. Roe are not easy to keep in captivity due to dietary requirements.
    That's what I thought, watch this space.....

  4. #4
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    7,000
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Why would you farm roe?

    They suffer from capture myopathy, which will complicate matters as a farmed animal.

    Also given the significantly smaller size of roe compared to fallow and red, I struggle to see how roe farming would be economic. The general public see venison as just that - venison. They are not sufficiently educated to differentiate between species, so it might be hard to justify a higher price for roe venison in order to make the venture economically viable.

    So far as velvet you'd also get far less from roe than you would from red or fallow.

    I just don't see how the numbers would stack up.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 25-06-2015 at 21:24.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  5. #5
    Roe deer would get very stressed in enclosed and fenced area's, it has been tried on many occasions and quickly abandoned on welfare issues.

  6. #6
    Perhaps being farmed for trophy size rather than venison?
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

  7. #7
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    7,000
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    The more I've thought about this the less convinced I am that farming roe would be viable. The venison and velvet yield per beast isn't going to come anywhere near red or fallow and if - as Tony suggests - the market is trophies then I can't see that business model working either, as I'd imagine the mortality rate for roe in captivity would be high. Also I can't see how they would "sell" trophy hunting in this way as the roe would have to be enclosed, so completely artificial.

    If we were nearer 1st April I'd be tempted to think this was a wind-up, but if someone is actually serious about farming roe it will be fascinating to see how it develops.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Why would you farm roe?

    They suffer from capture myopathy, which will complicate matters as a farmed animal.

    Also given the significantly smaller size of roe compared to fallow and red, I struggle to see how roe farming would be economic. The general public see venison as just that - venison. They are not sufficiently educated to differentiate between species, so it might be hard to justify a higher price for roe venison in order to make the venture economically viable.

    So far as velvet you'd also get far less from roe than you would from red or fallow.

    I just don't see how the numbers would stack up.
    Hello Dom.

    Just picking up on this thread, but have never heard of harvesting deer velvet before.... So with that in mind, what do people use it for as I am amazed that there is even a market for it ?? That said, how is it harvested, as that brings up some disturbing pictures ??

    Don`t want to hi jack the thread away from Roe Deer farming, but if it is within this context I would be fascinated to understand.

    All the best.

    Neil.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Hello Dom.

    Just picking up on this thread, but have never heard of harvesting deer velvet before.... So with that in mind, what do people use it for as I am amazed that there is even a market for it ?? That said, how is it harvested, as that brings up some disturbing pictures ??

    Don`t want to hi jack the thread away from Roe Deer farming, but if it is within this context I would be fascinated to understand.

    All the best.

    Neil.
    Just found this on t'interweb:
    http://www.drugs.com/npp/deer-velvet.html
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

    "...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by nell View Post
    Have it on good authority that Roe farming is starting up in the uk,curious to know more about it if any body has any info?? never thought this would be easy due to the lifestyle of roe deer,could this be the beginning of the end for wild shot deer????
    Yeah, great, Roe in a fenced-off area, so stalks in the enclosere will count towards the DSC2 portfolio
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Similar Threads

  1. Rabbir farming
    By Spix in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25-04-2015, 10:24
  2. Anyone fancy 'not' farming?
    By Monkey Spanker in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-02-2011, 23:17
  3. farming!!!!
    By sauer in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 06:52
  4. Money for not farming anyone??
    By Monkey Spanker in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 19:28
  5. Farming Heroes
    By Grantoliver in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 14:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •