Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fmj load and sp load is it poss to have same poi and trajectory???

Fmj load and sp load is it poss to have same poi and trajectory???

Chaps

i have some SP loads I am very happy with for my rifles but I have now starting practicing at gongs over extended ranges (not to allow long range deer shots but as a challenge and just in case for wounded beast etc). As a result I have started to use a few more rounds and the pocket is starting to notice the difference.

If I were to make a new load with a fmj bullet of the same weight (and as close a BC as I could find) using th same powder charge, case, primer etc would it have the same POI and trajector as the SP load. Or at least close enough to make it worth while.

Someone out there must have had a go at this.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by 243Sako View Post
    Chaps

i have some SP loads I am very happy with for my rifles but I have now starting practicing at gongs over extended ranges (not to allow long range deer shots but as a challenge and just in case for wounded beast etc). As a result I have started to use a few more rounds and the pocket is starting to notice the difference.

If I were to make a new load with a fmj bullet of the same weight (and as close a BC as I could find) using th same powder charge, case, primer etc would it have the same POI and trajector as the SP load. Or at least close enough to make it worth while.

Someone out there must have had a go at this.

Thanks in advance

Rob
    Unless you are shooting very long distances at your wounded deer you don't need to worry about BC. Find a bullet of roughly the same weight and form, fire it at the same velocity, and you will be close enough.~Muir

I suggest you find a non-expanding bullet and develop a load for it. That will allow you to shoot in competitions and can be used on ranges too. In terms of POI, I suggest you zero your non-expanding bullet before you start on the gongs. Once you have finished on the gongs, check your zero for the stalking round.

The gongs are hard work, first attempt: Applied Ballistics - Ballistics Ballistic programs / Solutions - UK Varminting

second attempt, couldn't hit it, so I've bought a bigger gong.

Regards

JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 26-06-2015 at 06:24.

I use my .243 with both soft points and FMJ. Ive found as long as you use same weight POI is the same

Regular Poster
    Are FMJ bullets that much cheaper?
    Last edited by spandit; 26-06-2015 at 08:08. Reason: Did some research and am a wiser man

Quote Originally Posted by spandit View Post
    Are FMJ bullets that much cheaper? I wonder whether with a suitable jig you could "dum-dum" them yourself by sanding off the point...
    Fmj bullets are open at the base whereas soft points are open at the tip, both cup and core manufactured. therefore if you sanded the tip off you would get a copper tube with lead in the middle.
    I would not think you would get any sort of controlled expansion from them more likely break apart on impact.

Regular Poster
    Hence my edit

Did see a website where they tested FMJ bullets loaded backwards & the expansion looked good but I'd doubt the accuracy at long range

I've done this! many times! most commercial fmj has about as much copper as match bullets and after the tip is gone react like one on impact. I had a lot of german 7.62 stuff with the silver jacket and that stuff acted like hollow points on foxes, it was great. I shoot a lot of .224 fmj and it's the same with the tip off, just acts like a hollow point.

edit..

best recommended to 'grind' bullets before loading! drill a hole to the right depth in a hardwood block with a small punch hole in the back. put two bits of tape above and below the hole. Orbital sanders are the best with a flat table to sand smoothly, sand to you tough the paper, punch out bullet, quick rub with wet and dry to remove burr at tip..... bossed

everything needs to be square before starting
    Last edited by Paul at Fechan; 26-06-2015 at 08:34.

"Are FMJ bullets that much cheaper? I wonder whether with a suitable jig you could "dum-dum" them yourself by sanding off the point..."

Generally they are cheaper but only really in military calibres e.g. 5.56 (.223), 7.62 (.30) and 8mm.
    Yes jigs have been sold that allow you to trim off the points of fmj bullets exposing the core but the result is not as good as a bullet designed for the task, and there is always the risk with open base bullets of blowing out the core leaving the jacket stuck in the bore of the rifle so not recommended.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I developed two loads for my 7mm-08, the first for FMJs just because I managed to acquire the bullets faster. The reason was the same as yours, in that the bullets I use for stalking cost something like 1 each, whereas the Sierra 150gr HPBTs are maybe 20p each. I'm not using 1 bullets for practice! Anyway, I went through the motions of measuring the correct AOL (the expanding bullets are a bit shorter and the ogive is a bit different), building up the charge of N140, and in the end, both loads ended up being 39.1gr, same POI, same group size. Essentially, similar shaped bullets that weigh the same behave pretty much the same in the same gun with the same weight of the same powder it will hit the same spot.