Thread: Magical barking buck

Regular Poster

Magical barking buck

I hate early mornings but unfortunately, I have a mortgage to pay and sometimes I get given early shifts at work. I'm working this weekend so today I deliberately got up early (4:15) so that I'm acclimatised enough to be OK tomorrow.

Crept downstairs and let the dogs into the garden - they were a bit miffed when I put them back inside and went into the fields without them.

Our land (10 acres) slopes up from the house and there is a bit of a hump in it so you can't see what's the other side until you walk over it. I had assumed for a while that the reason I'd never seen any deer in the field is because the dogs always ran ahead, giving anything a good chance to run away before I came into view.

Getting out as the sun rose was glorious. Lots of bird (and frog!) song and the view through my new binoculars (Nikon ProStaff 7S 8x42) was in high definition. Saw a rabbit or two as I quietly made my way into the top field.

Nothing seen, although the calm was wondrous. I walked through the long grass and bracken up to the very highest point where on a clear day you can see the sea. From there, most of the top field (6 acres) is visible, although with the trees I've planted and the grass/weeds, there's a lot of cover. Stood there for a few moments just listening to the sounds of nature all around when I heard a commotion about 100 yards away. Quickly swung the bins round and there he was. A beautiful roe buck. I think he saw me - I wasn't making an attempt to hide and was wearing fairly bright clothing. He stood and barked for a bit before melting away into the undergrowth and over the fence.

I've lived here nearly 2 years and this is the first deer I've seen with my own eyes (although the trailcam has caught roe and fallow). Breathtaking.

Presume it was this one...

Last edited by spandit; 26-06-2015 at 17:32.

Excellent ! Can be hard to get out of bed at first light in June but its usually worth it.

Hi Spandit,
    as you said in your post you have lived on the land for 2 years and have never saw any deer but your trailcams have picked them up, they will be around, probably just a bit shy during the day possibly because of disturbance.

all the best,
    3bl

Regular Poster
    I'm going to make a high seat so I can sit out in the evenings and see if they appear.

make sure the high seat is an uncomfortable seat,these warm evenings and a comfy chair are fatal ZZZZZZZ
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by tozzybum View Post
    make sure the high seat is an uncomfortable seat,these warm evenings and a comfy chair are fatal ZZZZZZZ
    Thinking of just putting a board on top of the Jimny so I can move it around to where I need it. Maybe not as high as a conventional high seat but easier to carry!

Pity your not local,we got a few of them plastic canteen chairs ,with no legs at work sounds ideal for a quick light seat.atb
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Regular Poster
    Tried it with a board and a fishing chair - not really high enough...