Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a 4 piece fly rod for small rivers

Recommendations for a 4 piece fly rod for small rivers

Hello everyone.

I need a bit of help because I haven't bought a fly rod for over 20 years when I bought a really beautiful Hardy Sovereign 8ft6 two piece rod that I still use as it just has a few scratches. Back then, graphite rods were newish and expensive, but now that's tried, tested and generic technology. So I would expect new rods of a similar quality to my current one to be available for a lot cheaper. In a couple of weeks I'll be heading off to France for a couple of weeks and will be staying five minutes walk away from this stretch of river:

Google Maps

As you can see, it's a shallow, quite fast-flowing mountain stream just starting to slow down at this stage (I've fished the same stream about 10km upstream a lot back in the day, but not this part) and it's essentially under a canopy of foliage pretty much all the way. To me it says that a very delicate approach is needed, short upstream casts with floating line, probably a lot of flies left up the trees. Alternately, ultra-light spinning tackle or even just a worm on a hook with a split shot on the line, but in my experience that leads often to deep hooking of juvenile fish and I want to avoid that.

I can't easily bring the old Hardy as it breaks down into too cumbersome a package for this trip, in a small car laden with baby gear and everything else. So if I want to take fly gear in addition to my travel spinning rod, I'll need something that breaks down into four sections.

Now a perusal of eBay shows that I could pay anything from 20-30 for a Shakespeare offering to hundreds of pounds for the usual Hardy or Loomis equivalents. I don't want to go up there since this is a rod that will be used very seldom. So my question is really whether these days, there's any noticeable technical difference between for instance this Shakespeare, or this one from Grey's of Alnwick.

Thanks!

Hi PM

I use an Orvis Frequent Flyer that I bought of here, it's a great rod and packs into a small case that's easy to take anywhere. If you could find one secondhand would be a good deal otherwise they are about 200 new.

They had them on sale at some point on the below link but think they are out of stock now

Travel Fishing Rods / Frequent Flyer 6-weight 9' 7-piece Fly Rod -- Orvis UK

cheers
    Dom

PM

I've just bought a Shakespeare 4 weight (less than 40) for fishing small chalk streams and i find it perfectly adequate. For the type of casting you're likely to need i don't think you need to spend fortunes.

F

I have one of the six foot shakespeare agility 'rise' rods for small stream work. It is very good and well rated on the fishing blogs and is a lot of rod for about 30. The Shakespeare Agility and Agility Rise series are good rods and well made and repesent incredible value for money. By the way, Shakespeare now own Hardy!

I thought that may be the case, it can't be that hard these days to make a decent fly rod, this isn't for eXtreme conditions or anything. Now I need to check what weight my line is, I can't remember, but I think it's a #5, just so that I can make sure that I don't need a full new set of reels spools and lines.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    PM

Do you want to borrow a rod? I have a 5-piece 9' 6 weight Scott up in the garage that I can bring tomorrow if you're interested?

Dom

Edit: Looking at that river I also have a 6' two-piece Hardy!
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 26-06-2015 at 15:11.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks very much for the offer Dom, but I'm going to be OK, turns out my Kiwi friend is going to lend me his ludicrously expensive travel Loomis setup when he comes round next week, so it would seem that I'm sorted.

That said, it remains something to look into for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Thanks very much for the offer Dom, but I'm going to be OK, turns out my Kiwi friend is going to lend me his ludicrously expensive travel Loomis setup when he comes round next week, so it would seem that I'm sorted.

That said, it remains something to look into for the future.
    PM

No worries - the offer stands should you want to slum it with a Scott instead

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    PM

No worries - the offer stands should you want to slum it with a Scott instead
    You know what one of the ironies of this is? I caught my first fish in the upper reaches of that river aged not quite four, squatting on a big flat rock, with a rod made of a length of hazel, a piece of line and a hook on the end, the sort of thing that garden gnomes use. And now I think that I need half a grand's worth of kit to do the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    You know what one of the ironies of this is? I caught my first fish in the upper reaches of that river aged not quite four, squatting on a big flat rock, with a rod made of a length of hazel, a piece of line and a hook on the end, the sort of thing that garden gnomes use. And now I think that I need half a grand's worth of kit to do the same thing!
    Most fishing tackle is made to catch anglers, not fish