Thread: Minox HG binocular...WOW

Minox HG binocular...WOW

Just bought the 8x43 Minox HG binocular from Sherwoods. Real wow factor when you look through them. Amazing clarity. Every bit as good as my Zeiss 7x40s from before, perhaps better. The focusing knob is a delight. I think better than Swaro SLCs I have borrowed in the past, but it's been a while since I had a decent binocular to be honest.

ok ok, confessional, so they are an upgrade to my rubbishy old type Bushnell trophy 8x42s and maybe I am just happy to no longer have the headache from looking through the 'orrible Bushnells , but blimey are these Minox sharp as a razor.

Have a look through someone's Minox and see what you think...not mine though..no no...hands off, they're MINE so go away
    Last edited by Mauser66; 14-04-2010 at 23:44. Reason: deleted the price in case the Memsahib sees it ;)

They come very highly recommended on here, but as yet I have not had chance to look through a pair as part of my great binocular hunt. Not many places seem to stock them for me to try, so I'm still trying to lay my hands on a pair. I'm glad you're pleased with them. It's nice when you find a pair which really suit you.

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    They are indeed a very good binocular.......and as you say....are on par with any of the other european stuff, although no suprise really considering Minox are part of the Leica group and share the same glass as the rest of the germans form the Schott factory.
    A while ago when they first came out i had the opportunity to compare them with all the top end makes (leica ultravids, swaro EL's, zeiss FL, ) and apart from differing handling qualities ( not like we're choosing a car is it!) they were equal in the optics department yet at a substancialy lower price!!.
    For those who like the open bridge design of the swaro EL's but can't warrant paying the ridiculous amount of hard earned that they require....you'll be pleased to know that Minox now do a binocular in this style.

Another binocular that often gets overlooked is the steiner range. Again i have been able to compare them to silly money ones and have found they are excellent in the optical department but it's their ugliness and 'military' background that probably puts people off.......that and the fact that they don't have the 'Exclusivity factor' as the swaro or zeiss do (why pay more for a jag when a mondeo does the same job as good!...they share the same running gear btw!!)

Anyway....good choice! and i hope you get plenty of good use out of them!!

regards

steve

Quote Originally Posted by stephen magson View Post
    They are indeed a very good binocular.......and as you say....are on par with any of the other european stuff, although no suprise really considering Minox are part of the Leica group and share the same glass as the rest of the germans form the Schott factory.
    They are not part of Leica anymore, that may be why they are producing such a good product for the price as they'll want to collar as much of the market for themselves as they can.
    I've got the 8.5 x 43 HG as well and they are terrific.

fraser

Just to also add that I'm delighted with my 8.5 x 43 HG as well. The clarity is great and they are easy to handle and compact.

Looking forward to the launch of the Minox scopes in this country

Regards,

Gunner

Agreed, I tried allsorts in my local gunshop and the minox range were as good as any of the top brand, although i accept, stood outside a gunshop nearly getting caught for perving is no real test for binos! I ended up getting the minox HG 8.5 x 52s. Very happy with them. Got them in a sale for a shade over 400 too!

My only one small gripe is that personally the extending eye mounts dont come out far enough to give me perfect eye relief.. it may be just me used to other bins..