Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One for you Toyota Hilux 4x4 mechanics...

One for you Toyota Hilux 4x4 mechanics...

I have been going through my rusty old 1986 Toyota 4x4 fixing this and that. It runs like a top BUT it does an odd, quirky, annoying thing: When I come to a controlled stop -especially when facing down hill- I cannot get it to go into any gear. I can yank it into reverse, back up a tad, then it will go into gear. Then it will proceed like nothing has happened. I replaced the shifter seats, clutch master and slave cylinders, changed the transmission fluid... All this after clutch, pressure plate, Rear main seal, throw-out bearing and anything else I could reach. It doesn't happen all the time but I swear I can feel something move around through the shifter when I hit the breaks.

Any thoughts? The "Yota Tech" forum has come up dry....
    In appreciation,~MUir

I don't know enough about Toyotas or their 4x4 system but a similar problem occurs with Suzuki Jimnys called wind up if you drive on the road in 4 wheel drive as there isn't a centre diff. Is there a chance the diff lock on yours is getting stuck on while driving?

Hilux Pickup Owners Club & Online Community

Try the above forum, really great source of knowledge and inspiration on everything Toyota.

Some of the projects in Modifications are incredible.

Good luck

Regards

BP

Is it April 1st ? A Toyota playing up ? Well I never

You'll have a few on here in tears posting these sort of threads

My money would be on the selectors having something loose ? In old Land Rovers the ball used to break off the end of the gear lever in the selectors but that would stop all gear selection until you re welded it ?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Toyota - Willie Apiata

Looks a bit more capable than the Isuzu Huntsman

Regards

BP

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    My money would be on the selectors having something loose ? In old Land Rovers the ball used to break off the end of the gear lever in the selectors but that would stop all gear selection until you re welded it ?
    In an effort to fix the problem I replaced the shifter seats and bearing with racing after market units from bearing grade nylon. No help.

It really has been a great truck. No mechanical 'problems' to speak of tho I did replace the timing chain, et al to get rid of the plastic timing chain guides they put in these gasoline 22R engines. Otherwise runs like a champ, doesn't leak a drop of fluids and has been very reliable. And most of the time the shifting isn't an issue either. It's sporadic... and a little maddening.~Muir

What are the engine and transmission mounts like?
    Cheers Ted.

SACS Member. DSC 1.

Quote Originally Posted by tedster View Post
    What are the engine and transmission mounts like?
    That's a good question! I'll have a look. ~Muir

If you come to a stop and then turn the engine off will it engage the gears then ? If it wont then its a gearbox problem and its probably the Synchro's which is probably why you can yank it into reverse as there is no synchromesh on that gear, when you pull away try changing up through the gearbox WITHOUT using the clutch it should be stiff to select a gear but they should still go in if they wont my money is on the synchro's which means rebuilt gearbox.