Caught up with injured boar

On an outing with a client for roe last night we ended our outing heading off to an area where boar have been seen quite a bit at dusk recently , we were caught in a really heavy shower just as a few deer started to show but sheltered for a while before carrying on to where we had seen a doe and 2 kids to see if a buck was anywhere near. We couldnt even see the doe or youngsters anymore so made our way back towards the vehicle , at a low point in the drystane wall i spotted a boar on the edge of a field , on its own , around 50kg i thought a young male , as it moved further up the field it looked to be limping but still rooting about as normal. A quick word with Dan to ask if he was confident at the distance as it was getting dark and we were low on time to stalk in or wait until he got nearer , Dan said " you might be better to take the shot yourself" .
I got a nice steady rest on the wall and just had a few seconds to wait until it turned broadside , the boar dropped to the shot so we made our way down fairly quickly as it was almost dark and i was confident the headshot was good ,, a bit suprised to get down there and find a young sow that had never had young but did have a very nasty front leg injury that i would guess was a shot wound
All credit to Dan for passing up his chance to shoot a boar , very honest of him to say he wasnt sure , but it turned out well getting this one before infection set in properly , it definately is not the one Morgy shot at last week as it was close enough to identify as a big male
Last nights shot was all video,d by Dan , we will have a look and possibly post on this thread

Thanks again Dan

View attachment 58566View attachment 58567

glad you got it,Boar are very hardy creatures and travel great distance when wounded, great job putting it out of its misery, this time of year infection would set in quickly, atb wayne

glad you got it,Boar are very hardy creatures and travel great distance when wounded, great job putting it out of its misery, this time of year infection would set in quickly, atb wayne[/QUOTE

This one hadnt gone far Wayne , it was back in the same field where i think it was shot and injured 10 or 11 days ago , i have the shooting around most of the treeline on this hill , i was fairly confident i would catch up eventually

Colin, emailed and pm'd you a few times about day on goats with my brother in law, realise you're busy and may not have time to reply...but irrespective would like to discuss, would you mind PM'ing me a phone number and convenient time if that's best for you?
Peter

glad you got it,Boar are very hardy creatures and travel great distance when wounded, great job putting it out of its misery, this time of year infection would set in quickly, atb wayne[/QUOTE

This one hadnt gone far Wayne , it was back in the same field where i think it was shot and injured 10 or 11 days ago , i have the shooting around most of the treeline on this hill , i was fairly confident i would catch up eventually

what I mean Colin is at the time of shot they travel huge distance, boar sleep and eat at different areas, usually when injured they travel back to were they feel safe, and sleep this can be a huge distance, a usual track on boar it is 3-5 km for such an injury if you can catch up with them. They will always go to were they know and if good food will come back to the same spots if they can, atb wayne

Im surprised it came back near that area so soon Wayne in my experience as soon as they are shot at or even more so injured at a certain place they avoid it for a long time . Ive shot over 60 now and luckily havent had many injured or needed to track , just pleased we got it

Colin, emailed and pm'd you a few times about day on goats with my brother in law, realise you're busy and may not have time to reply...but irrespective would like to discuss, would you mind PM'ing me a phone number and convenient time if that's best for you?
Peter

i WILL PM MY MOBILE NUMBER
CHEERS

Colin

Nice one Col, I'd have handed you my rifle as well! Lol!!

Think it might have been a task getting it off you Andy , i had taken my own rifle on this outing just in case we saw boar
See you in October , we were at estate yesterday and saw a group of 8 big stags , one was a cracker at least a Royal

Nice one ,well done dan on passing up the shot very easy to get carried away with the moment .
still on our to do list with you Colin the lure of that hill seems to pull us away from the boar country :lol:
keep up the good work
doug

Im surprised it came back near that area so soon Wayne in my experience as soon as they are shot at or even more so injured at a certain place they avoid it for a long time . Ive shot over 60 now and luckily havent had many injured or needed to track , just pleased we got it
too true that Colin they are more flighty than the fallow I also shoot here. Easily pushed off an area if they suspect something odd let alone being shot at

Question about the origins of these boar: are they new to the area, or been there quite a while?
Do you know if they are ancient Brit boar, or something imported from Germany or France?

Back