Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what bullets do after exiting target

what bullets do after exiting target

Shot a roe buck in the neck at 30 yards with .270 30gr soft point.

Not a lot left of the neck, and found that bullet had embedded itself in a tree about 50 yards behind deer, leaving a substantial hole.

Got me thinking: how far can we realistically expect exiting rounds to go and how dangerous are they?

I'd be curious to hear of people's experiences.

I know of one chap who took a buck in a wheat field in a spray track, buck was there stone dead, so was another dead buck in the 2nd wheel track just yard away, both clean H/L shots remarkably!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I know of one chap who took a buck in a wheat field in a spray track, buck was there stone dead, so was another dead buck in the 2nd wheel track just yard away, both clean H/L shots remarkably!
    I know this happening at least twice, once on roe and another on red. In both cases the second beast was quite some way away and in no way in the "line of fire".
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Shot a roe buck in the neck at 30 yards with .270 30gr soft point.

Not a lot left of the neck, and found that bullet had embedded itself in a tree about 50 yards behind deer, leaving a substantial hole.

Got me thinking: how far can we realistically expect exiting rounds to go and how dangerous are they?

I'd be curious to hear of people's experiences.[/
    Speechless.

On a red deer cull on a private deer park. Shooting down hill I head shot a hind, dropping her instantly & the bullet went on through at high velocity & exited at an angle of 30 degrees downwards.
    The hill dropped away behind the hind into a ditch making some dead ground & there were deer unseen to me from my firing point.
    The bullet heart shot a stag that was below the rim of the hill & killed it. Fortunately that stag was on the cull list on that day as he had wire tangled up in his antlers. The bullet passed almost right through the stag. I was so lucky that day - The beast could have been the master of the herd which was within a few yards also out of sight!

Three lessons that I learned -
    1. Don't assume bullets won't be lethal after passing through a beast.
    2. Bullets can deflect at big angles when hitting any object.
    3. Don't assume that a shot is "safe" unless you can see ALL the ground beyond the target animal.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    On a red deer cull on a private deer park. Shooting down hill I head shot a hind, dropping her instantly & the bullet went on through at high velocity & exited at an angle of 30 degrees downwards.
    The hill dropped away behind the hind into a ditch making some dead ground & there were deer unseen to me from my firing point.
    The bullet heart shot a stag that was below the rim of the hill & killed it. Fortunately that stag was on the cull list on that day as he had wire tangled up in his antlers. The bullet passed almost right through the stag. I was so lucky that day - The beast could have been the master of the herd which was within a few yards also out of sight!

3. Don't assume that a shot is "safe" unless you can see ALL the ground beyond the target animal.

Ian
    wise words

Oh Matt,

that 30g bullet must have been travelling at some speed in a .270

Shot a sika hind on some marsh land with a .300wm 165gr nosler E-Tip.....H/L at 175m.......bullet went straight thro' and splashed into the marsh some 200-300m beyond.
    Scary!

Quote Originally Posted by achosenman View Post
    Speechless.
    which part?

there was a video on youtube of exit energy tests

ballistic gel and some hardwood shot at 100yds and another block of gel behind the first to simulate a pass through and a secondary strike
    obviously not conclusive but a lot depends on bullet construction and the media it passes through, more bone, more mass, more frangible, softer bullets...less energy

aside from the propensity for bullets to whizz off at bizarre angles on exit
    there is a good video on YorshireRoeStalking's Youtube channel showing a strike behind the shot roe way off to the right by several feet

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post

Ian
    ^^^ This.

This is a good one :

A French motorist has been killed in an apparent freakish accident, after a bullet fired by a hunter ricocheted off a wild boar, before travelling almost 2 km across fields, through the driver's window and eventually striking the driver in the head.

http://www.thelocal.fr/20130128/frea...r#.UQcKBCe4B0x