Thread: 34mm tubed scopes

34mm tubed scopes

What're people opinions on the development of 34mm tubed rifle scopes?
    Is there a significant advantage in light gathering or field of view compared to say 25.54 or 30mm tubed scopes?
    Is this just the further development of high class optics to aid us in our shooting disciplines?
    what are the pro stalkers using?
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

As I understand it, the tube diameter is more about offering more windage, and elevation movement, than light gathering.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    As I understand it, the tube diameter is more about offering more windage, and elevation movement, than light gathering.
    Correct... the bigger the tube the more adjustment is possible... light transmission/gathering is not perceptively affected

What they said.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

I was talking briefly to someone who designs riflescopes the other week, and the thing that sticks in my mind -most of what he told me went right over my head!- was that he loves the 34mm because it gives him significantly more room to do what he wants to.

That is to say, there are fewer compromises in a 34mm scope.

He also pointed out that the extra space occupied by the larger-diameter tube isn't used for anything else with a smaller tube, and that, in his professional opinion, the modest extra weight of a 34mm tube is well worth the benefits in precision, adjustability and durability.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by vipa View Post
    correct... The bigger the tube the more adjustment is possible... Light transmission/gathering is not perceptively affected
    ?

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    I was talking briefly to someone who designs riflescopes the other week, and the thing that sticks in my mind -most of what he told me went right over my head!- was that he loves the 34mm because it gives him significantly more room to do what he wants to.

That is to say, there are fewer compromises in a 34mm scope.

He also pointed out that the extra space occupied by the larger-diameter tube isn't used for anything else with a smaller tube, and that, in his professional opinion, the modest extra weight of a 34mm tube is well worth the benefits in precision, adjustability and durability.
    other wise known as "mine is bigger than yours"

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    ?

K
    There will be some increase in the % of light moving from one end of the tube to the other but not something you or I would be able to percieve without the help of very sensitive measuring equipment.

Think of a hosepipe... the amount of water it can carry is affected by both its diameter and the pressure it is being fed.. same thing will hold true for light through a tube with the size of the objective substituting for the varying pressure..

Not a great analogy but you get the idea..
    Last edited by Vipa; 29-06-2015 at 08:12.

I'm sure I have heard that girth is also important.......