She's back......

willie_gunn

Back in the same spot this morning, which she's obviously chosen as her preferred place to bed down.

You can just about make out the bump of pedicles on her forehead.

(JAYB - this was with the 300mm f4, plus a 1.4 teleconverter :thumb:)

Doe_2_300_2205_zpsbs4ze7ic.png

Doe_300_2205_zpshrewbu2x.png

Nice one Dom, the fur in her ears looks like cobwebs, good bit of kit that and the T/C does not harm it much.

John

Nice one Dom, the fur in her ears looks like cobwebs, good bit of kit that and the T/C does not harm it much.

John

Yes, it's a great lens, though I have found it needs to be stopped down a stop or two for best effect, at least when the T/C is attached. This particular photo was shot at 1/250 at f9, whereas the f5.6 shots were just a little soft. I'm still learning about how best to use the lens, but I'm definitely liking it so far!

Yes, it's a great lens, though I have found it needs to be stopped down a stop or two for best effect, at least when the T/C is attached. This particular photo was shot at 1/250 at f9, whereas the f5.6 shots were just a little soft. I'm still learning about how best to use the lens, but I'm definitely liking it so far!

I always found f8/f9 to be about right, although without the T/C it was not too bad wide open with quite effective bokeh, and quite a shallow d.o.f.

John

Which brand of lens? Excellent shot.

Thank you.

It's a Nikon 300mm f4 AF-S lens, with a Kenko 1.4x Tele-Converter, so effectively making it a 420mm lens. It's attached to a Nikon D300.

The photos were taken with the lens supported by a monopod, as it's a big old lump of glass to carry around!

Dom so how close were you in Yards because most of mine are around the same as stalking eg 100 to 200

Dom so how close were you in Yards because most of mine are around the same as stalking eg 100 to 200

Same here - the same distance as when I'm stalking. So this photo was taken from about 30 yards away.

.....but then I'm obviously a better stalker :lol: :fib:

Dom

(sorry Davie, you really asked for that one :D)

lol I will need to up my game was thinking of upgrading my Camera but looks like that's not all that needs an upgrade.
150 mtr away shutter speed not know aperture not known Magnification not know lol.

Last edited:
That's stunning W.G you should enter her into the country file comp :tiphat: . :doh: before she ends up on the table in a few months :eek:

Those are really good pics Dom. I do a bit of photography (well, quite a bit) but I'm one of those that can't "see" a picture before it's taken, I'm just not "arty". However, I know what I like when it's taken and always judge my pics as to whether I would hang them on the wall. The second one of yours would definitely be a wall hanger, there's just that "something" about it, it's one of those special ones you get every now and then.

Well done :thumb:

Well that's bloody interesting then all I need do now is learn what it means McKenzie lol.Ps any hints on how to improve with this type of camera mate.

Well that's bloody interesting then all I need do now is learn what it means McKenzie lol.Ps any hints on how to improve with this type of camera mate.

It looks to me as if you're doing just fine with it. The only thing I would have done differently is when I was converting to B&W I would have experimented with colour filters or the colour balance to make the grass & foliage lighter so the deer stood out more.

Great pictures. Top drawer result!!

Interesting to see the close up detail of the hair in the ears. This is a detail which is often overlooked in taxidermy mounts, where the ears are left too open once the mount dries. This is even more noticeable in winter coat deer.

Great pictures!

Back