Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: effect of moderator on HV .22LR

effect of moderator on HV .22LR

A curious observation:

I've been trying to find a high velocity .22LR round that works in my CZ455.

Over the last 2 years, I'd tried just about everything, with no real success - all grouped poorly to appallingly. The worst were CCI Velocitors, which were producing groups of 4 inches plus.

However, due to a serious error of judgement on my part at the beginning of this process, I had a whole slab of Velocitors (I fell for the marketing hype without really checking them in my gun first - very stupid). I felt I had to find a way to use these up.

So started playing with the set up. First step: remove moderator.

Miracle transformation: group size now around half an inch at 60 yards! Effectively single ragged hole a cm across (20 shots). I was astonished (and very pleased).

Anyone any ideas as to what's happening here, or had similar experiences?

Probably not very helpful, but over the years I have tried various HV 22LR ammo and never really found one that my rifles like. They have all been pretty inconsistent in their results.

You don't mentioned whether you get decent groups when using sub-sonics?

I don't know but it raises a good point: How many of those with a moderated 22 rimfire have ever conducted group tests without the moderator fitted?

K
    Ps: Be assured a keyboard warrior of expert status will be along soon to put us all in the picture.
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 29-06-2015 at 17:16.
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh6 View Post
    You don't mentioned whether you get decent groups when using sub-sonics?
    Really good point.

Groups with Winchester 40gr subsonics didn't change (though POI shifted a touch).

I gave my Brno no 2 to PKL to sort out recently & the conclusion was that it shot slightly better without the mod. Same hole without, tight group with (after the tweaks). It's an old Parker Hale moderator that looks a bit like a bicycle pump & with all that length could be slightly off. It's all pretty academic anyway as there aren't any rabbits.

I also reckon that, since I'm shooting HVs anyway, there's no point in having a mod.

In fact, subsonics are so quiet, there's little point in modding them either.

So it's possible that this whole, expensive, time consuming wasted effort has just confirmed that there is essentially bugger all reason to moderate a .22lr.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    I also reckon that, since I'm shooting HVs anyway, there's no point in having a mod.

In fact, subsonics are so quiet, there's little point in modding them either.

So it's possible that this whole, expensive, time consuming wasted effort has just confirmed that there is essentially bugger all reason to moderate a .22lr.
    That's where I'd got to due to the lack of rabbits. I could walk for half a mile & only see one anyway so big long mod (although not heavy) was just not necessary. I do sometimes take it with me but leave it in the rucksack just in case.

what moderator?

would you be interested in trying it with some other mods?
    I have a PES, a SAK and a Weihrauch all in 1/2" UNF

I ran a PES overbarrel on my WMR and the LR with HV
    similar but not quite as drastic results with LR HV in Winchester Laser (more like 1-2" at 60yds)
    but the HV WMR ammo performs faultlessly through the same Mod

i definitely see the benefit of moderating subs
    still a hefty pop without any mod

I have an old BSA sp 5, with a long parker hale type mod that cannot be removed! it matters not what I put through it, sub win, sub cci, hi vel,stingers etc the point of impact changes, but the grouping is single hole at 50 yards, unless I pul a shot.
    On the other hand I have a ruger 10 22, the only ammo it likes is win subs, moderated or not makes no difference, 1inch groups at 50 yards and 4inch with any other ammo.
    So its the same as any rifle, you just need to find what they like and keep in mind some just never quite make the grade.