Thread: On the ball . NOT

On the ball . NOT

A friend of mine asked me if I would help him out with some bucks on his ground I of course said yes .
    It would be a high seat job in the evening and as all my stalking is done on foot usually with a lot of walking up hill down dale I looked forward to the evening on the bucks We met on the edge of the ground parked up and walked into the area wee were covering Rab showed me the high seat and the safe areas to shoot and up I went .
    It felt really strange siting waiting on the deer to come to me , but it was something different. It was a nice evening just cold enough for a lightweight jacket and a hat to hide the chromedome , the rifle was on the rest with the but resting on my lap , when suddenly I heard a movement to my right it was a roe doe wandering past I watched her for a while until she was out of sight. I checked my watch it was only 6.00pm still plenty time yet and I was very comfy in the high seat ,then bang I nearly passed out with fright clearly Rab had a shot I looked at my watch again 8.45 pm **** I had dozed of and god only knows what had walked past my position.
    After 10 minutes my friend arrived looking up at me in the seat he was laughing like hell "you fell asleep ya auld chancer didn't you" I could not lie he was doubled over laughing letting me know that the big buck he had shot had to have walked past me .The constant reminder all the way back to the vehicles was excrutiating .
    All the excuses of working long hours and early morning starts made no difference at all to my heartless friend, it must be all round the pub and the village by now.
    I think I will stay of the high seat.

I will be off now needing a wee nap

Hoolit

Some highseats can be a bit too comfy i guess

I've done it dozens of times pigeon shooting, get sat in the chair under a bush, nice sunny day, phone rings, your asleep again says my mate, he's sat in a hide on other side of field, who cares, it's a day out.

If you enjoyed the evening that's all that matters After all, we do it for pleasure, not because we have to.(Well I do)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoolit View Post
    A friend of mine asked me if I would help him out with some bucks on his ground I of course said yes .
    It would be a high seat job in the evening and as all my stalking is done on foot usually with a lot of walking up hill down dale I looked forward to the evening on the bucks We met on the edge of the ground parked up and walked into the area wee were covering Rab showed me the high seat and the safe areas to shoot and up I went .
    It felt really strange siting waiting on the deer to come to me , but it was something different. It was a nice evening just cold enough for a lightweight jacket and a hat to hide the chromedome , the rifle was on the rest with the but resting on my lap , when suddenly I heard a movement to my right it was a roe doe wandering past I watched her for a while until she was out of sight. I checked my watch it was only 6.00pm still plenty time yet and I was very comfy in the high seat ,then bang I nearly passed out with fright clearly Rab had a shot I looked at my watch again 8.45 pm **** I had dozed of and god only knows what had walked past my position.
    After 10 minutes my friend arrived looking up at me in the seat he was laughing like hell "you fell asleep ya auld chancer didn't you" I could not lie he was doubled over laughing letting me know that the big buck he had shot had to have walked past me .The constant reminder all the way back to the vehicles was excrutiating .
    All the excuses of working long hours and early morning starts made no difference at all to my heartless friend, it must be all round the pub and the village by now.
    I think I will stay of the high seat.

I will be off now needing a wee nap

Hoolit
    At least im not alone then, I went over to Dumfries and Galloway sitting in a highseat one winters evening with "Solwaystalker" and promptly fell asleep, it was about 17:30hrs pitch black and Colin had to keep nudging me, he reckoned I was trying to call the pigs in with my snoring!

this has just made me chuckle a little bit. As long as you enjoyed your snooze, that's what matters lol.