Wind Checker

Hunting Solutions

Just wondering what you guys do to keep check of the prevailing air currents when stalking in almost still conditions?

I've been using this kind of stuff for the last few years and found it to be really useful by being almost like 'smoke' when deployed.

Yes, I use this in a very protected (i.e. still) wood where the wind currents are almost imperceptible.

We use something similar bowhunting here in the states. Just a small bottle like that filled with cornstarch works well.

I'll take two (2) please if you do paypal.

Thanks

K

Thanks K.

It's not something we have finalised yet. We've trialled lots of different variations but the vast majority have been far too heavy and 'clumpy'.

The secret seems to be extremely fine powder that, when shaken, only gives off the finest residue when the bottle is gently squeezed, hence it appears to be exactly like smoke. It's amazing when used in very still forestry blocks, you wouldn't believe just what the air currents are REALLY doing around you!

Also, the bottle lasts ages as you're not actually dispensing the powder itself....I'm still on my original bottle after three years! :eek:

I'll keep you up to date with progress. :cool:

If you are just interested in the wind currents then smoke matches that plumbers use for testing chimney's and flue draughts are useful. Available from most plumbers merchants or a matter of pence. They do however have the down side of not being "covert" if you are actually stalking and are near animals. Also don't accidentally set fire to the forest!!

Baby powder as it has two use's one is the wind the other is if its a hot "n" sweaty day while out walking it can relieve chaffing :rofl:

Bog cotton, gather a bag or two at the start of the season lasts right through. If you put a few bits out you can follow them with the glass and it will show you the eddies in a corrie. And it's free !

Here is what I use. It's about 250mm of orange embroidery thread taped to the muzzle. Benefits are that it's always in front of you, no need to hunt for a bottle of stuff in your pocket. It works in the rain. Easy to see and easily replaced if it's torn off in the blackberries.
It's tougher that plain cotton thread and hangs straight.
Grant. Wind indicator.JPG

I guess you already know about this?

Primos Wind Checker | BushWear

I don't use that I use the stuff in the orange bottle that I can't remember the name of right now...

Thats what I use.. have a couple of bottles.. lasts for years.. doesnt clump and does exactly what it is designed to do... also oderless unlike baby powder! Give it a quick shake and then a quick squeeze of the bottle. Think I got mine from Bushwear but most gunshops seem to sell it or very similar

I can understand the desire to make your own but if its from a purely cost saving point of view then I wouldnt bother.. I bought 2 thinking I'd run out, at £3.99 each IIRC... that was 5 years ago and I'm still on my first bottle, so at less than 80p a year the bottles alone would come out more expensive, let alone the faff of making the stuff!

Last edited:
I use a piece of music cassette tape, about ten inches long and tied to the top of my sticks. It is very sensitive to wind movement and I can hold my sticks out to detect eddies etc. Costs almost nothing and when I lose it, just snip another piece off the cassette. I reckon one old tape cassette will last me a lifetime.

Back