Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Working Tracking Dogs

Working Tracking Dogs

Across the years I have spent a fair amount of time training dogs to do various things, in my youth it was working terriers and spent many hours digging foxes out (more usually the terriers who had dug themselves in with their most recent victim) alongside man workers. Like my Dutch Shepherd for those with nothing else to do.

I would have liked to have a crack at training a sheepdog to round up sheep, in fact the closest I got to a sheepdog was in my youth, we went on a round up of sheep on the Brecon Beacons bringing them down for the shearing and dipping.

Having been out a few times with "John Robson" and his GSP "Breeze" and a few other occasions with another pal of mine "Nick Spoors" who uses a GSD bitch to find shot deer, I dont recall anyone else who takes a deer dog with them on a regular basis. Now on the shotgun shoots I attend there are a multitude of Spaniels and Labs and a whole myriad of other breeds and mixes thereof.

Do we have an aversion to dogs trained to find deer in this country or is there a massive following like the retrievers for the shotgun sport?

Is there a Register of deer dogs in this country with dogs that are well trained in the discipline?

What about dogs trained to find Boar? or are we still behind with this?

I have trained several breeds to track men and have over the years seen some fabulous tracking dogs from Weimeraners to GSD and Rottweilers, all of which were used for tracking people

Is there a definitive breed favoured by most for tracking a Deer or Boar or is it more likely simply an individuals taste as with everything else?

One other question.....why would you utilize a "Dachshund" or "Teckel" as opposed to a longer legged breed?

You can't imagine the size of the worm can you've just opened!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Have you been living on a desert island for the last 2-3 years??!!
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Very well trained , nice to see
    Regards

So, since I started stalking, a long time ago I have always had a trained dog with me, other than the times I had a pup for training along.
    In my opinon it is bad practice to hunt anything without a dog or at least a dog handy.

I always take a dog with me, at least since I've found a GSP that will happily walk to heel for hours. People ask me if it's difficult to get a GSP to track; the answer is an emphatic no, the difficulty is in stopping them tracking & getting them to only do it when you want them to.

The UKsha and UKDTR have trained tracking dogs. Many others have a dog as a stalking companion that will find their shot deer. Nothing wrong with having a good canine stalking companion There is a world of difference between the two types.
    When i lived in the Uk i had a dog stalking companion and very good he was at finding shot deer. But he was not a patch on my fully trained tracking dog that i have now who will find deer and boar.
    Its quite easy to train a tracking dog. Tracking wounded deer is a hunting sport in its own right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    The UKsha and UKDTR have trained tracking dogs. Many others have a dog as a stalking companion that will find their shot deer. Nothing wrong with having a good canine stalking companion There is a world of difference between the two types.
    When i lived in the Uk i had a dog stalking companion and very good he was at finding shot deer. But he was not a patch on my fully trained tracking dog that i have now who will find deer and boar.
    Its quite easy to train a tracking dog. Tracking wounded deer is a hunting sport in its own right.
    Thanks for the response, what breed is your tracking dog

Quote Originally Posted by Morgy View Post
    Thanks for the response, what breed is your tracking dog
    He's a Slovensky Kopov. Swedish tracking Champion. He's not a large dog but very strong with a short fuse around dogs he dos'nt like. Not the sort of dog you would have as a stalking companion.
    Last edited by Jagare; 01-07-2015 at 14:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    He's a Slovensky Kopov. Swedish tracking Champion. He's not a large dog but very strong with a short fuse around dogs he dos'nt like. Not the sort of dog you would have as a stalking companion.
    So I assume this dog is used "if and when required" left in the vehicle until the hunt is over?

Hounds tend to run after their quarry and vanish into the landscape giving voice.

What breed was your stalking dog?

Thanks for the link

UKDTR

A few videos to pass the time

Kennel spod Kunovej
    Last edited by Morgy; 01-07-2015 at 15:01.