Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Splits in neck/shoulder

Splits in neck/shoulder

Can anyone give me a clue to what is causing the neck/shoulder split in new brass?

Details as follows:-

W-W super , .264 win mag brass (new). Not the neatest looking brass I've come across!
    2.494 length
    CCI magnum primers
    52.0g H4350 (Start grains = 51.1g)
    Hornady 129g SST
    3.322 OAL (OAL to lands is 3.358)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1083.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	58680

The same set-up seems to work with Hornady 129g SP to give 2880fps and sub minute accuracy out to 300m. I've fired over 50 rounds with this load without a problem. Not a lot, but three from three split when using the SST.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scotspine View Post
    Can anyone give me a clue to what is causing the neck/shoulder split in new brass?

Details as follows:-

W-W super , .264 win mag brass (new). Not the neatest looking brass I've come across!
    2.494 length
    CCI magnum primers
    52.0g H4350 (Start grains = 51.1g)
    Hornady 129g SST
    3.322 OAL (OAL to lands is 3.358)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1083.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	58680

The same set-up seems to work with Hornady 129g SP to give 2880fps and sub minute accuracy out to 300m. I've fired over 50 rounds with this load without a problem. Not a lot, but three from three split when using the SST.

Thanks
    Defective brass. Get your money back.~MUir

Was this brand new unfired brass or was it once fired before you loaded it?

Either way it's definitely faulty, probably incorrectly annealed. If it was once fired I doubt you will have much success in getting it replaced but if brand new unfired then the dealer (not the distributor) must replace it.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I bought some new Winchester 300WM brass and it looked so dodgy and was taking a lot of dings in the bag I didn't even fire them!!

not a fan

Thanks for comments so far.

The brass is brand new and does look rough; dints, scratches and some misshapen primer holes. Having said that I only encountered the splitting with the SST batch so I thought I'd make contact with SD before I scrap the lot.

I've got some very old Sako once fired to use whilst I await for new stock to arrive ( on order for two months!)

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I bought some new Winchester 300WM brass and it looked so dodgy and was taking a lot of dings in the bag I didn't even fire them!!

not a fan
    Winchester ships all their brass in bags from the plant. Most of the dings happened when it was in transit, most likely. I use a lot of Winchester brass with no problems. The OP's brass is a bad lot for sure.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Winchester ships all their brass in bags from the plant. Most of the dings happened when it was in transit, most likely. I use a lot of Winchester brass with no problems. The OP's brass is a bad lot for sure.~Muir
    Agreed
    but i get all my brass in bags and I have never had the same level of mishapes as I have with that lot
    Norma do the same but I never see dinged necks

Winchester isn't the best brand, but I've only had trouble with it in .222 Rem.

Just a thought. I don't know if you've access to a Stoneypoint/Hornady OAL gauge, but it might be useful checking out the OAL you've used.

If vertical striations were present in the 3 fired cases, and the bullet was a bit too close or jammed up into the chamber leade you would get this 'burn-through' as a first symptom before the 'mired' bullet went on its' way.

The profile of the Hornady 129gr Interlock & the 129gr SST is different .... and the cannelure is not in the same place (below).....

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Search results[]=259&categoryid[]=390&categoryid[]=&x=49&y=9

If you don't have a gauge, then maybe use the same setting on the seating die that you've used on the SP when trying out the SST. You'll notice quite a difference (varies depending on the make of die) but it's a better & safer starting point unless you can measure every bullet shape. You don't feel the close contact effect so readily with the pointy polymer-tip designs.

If it's not this, and you can't get decent .264 WM brass try the more plentiful 7mm RM brass. It necks down well in the RCBS .264WM FLRSZ die-set I have.
    Last edited by Sinistral; 01-07-2015 at 13:10.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I had all sorts of trouble with split necks a few years ago with Remington brass in a 6mm06AI. All sorts of theories about headspace and poor 'smithing were banded about. Switched to some Norma brass and the problem went away immediately, never to be seen again.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    If vertical striations were present in the 3 fired cases, and the bullet was a bit too close or jammed up into the chamber leade you would get this 'burn-through' as a first symptom before the 'mired' bullet went on its' way.
    Before you blew the primer out of the case? Unlikely.

To quote Earl Naramore's "The Principles and Practice of Loading Ammunition":
    "Body splits on first firing are always to to metallurgical or manufacturing defects."~Muir