Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Harris Bipod?

Which Harris Bipod?

Need a nice light bipod to use on my. 243 and 22lr. Happy to use sticks for higher shots, just wondering whether the 6-9" would be ok in the field. It appeals since its lighter and smaller than the next one up, 9-13", but the spec suggests the smaller one is designed for plinking targets from a bench rather than out in the field. Anyone tried the little one in 'real life' as it were? What's the verdict?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Fishermandan; 30-06-2015 at 21:35.

I made the mistake of getting the largest size, it's either too low or too high for sitting shots. There are other makes that have a lot more fine adjustment.

The 9-13" is the most versatile, 6-9" is better suited for benchrest

The low one is just too short for prone in a field especially shooting across a dip - can't get the stock set into the shoulder. There are screw adjusters in the longer bipods to allow them to be adjusted down from max height.

Quote Originally Posted by tunskeen View Post
    The 9-13" is the most versatile, 6-9" is better suited for benchrest
    I have both the above, however I favour the Harris 12-25 inch swivel one. Works prone at a pinch and can be used for sitting. To an extent it depends on your height and your girth. Borrow a couple to try before you buy if you can.

Regards

JCS

Medium height 9-13 is the best all rounder. Short bipods invariably seem to need the legs extended unless benched or off vehicles. Long one is only really good for sitting shots IMO but are less stable than quad sticks

Tried them all! The tall ones are just too unstable and you are better off standing off quad sticks. The low ones are just too low unless bench rest shooting.
    The best all-round is the 9-13" swivel base. The only decision then is whether to go for notched legs or smooth! That I'm afraid is personal preference, although mine are all smooth.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Fishermandan View Post
    Need a nice light bipod to use on my. 243 and 22lr. Happy to use sticks for higher shots, just wondering whether the 6-9" would be ok in the field. It appeals since its lighter and smaller than the next one up, 9-13", but the spec suggests the smaller one is designed for plinking targets from a bench rather than out in the field. Anyone tried the little one in 'real life' as it were? What's the verdict?

Thanks in advance!
    Started off the bi-pod route, it took a few months and know it sits in the cupboard...I migrated to quad sticks, rifles are unbalanced enough with the can most people have on the front...let alone the extra weight of a bi-pod.
    Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

tried both on my Sako 85 and like has been said above the 6-9 was too short. I got the 9-13 and have set it up just right for me at 11 so 9 way too short. Great bipods though and very light.

6-9 works well for me,folds up a lot neater too