Thread: Marlin XT-17 .17HMR opinions?!?!

Marlin XT-17 .17HMR opinions?!?!

Hi all,

Getting an HMR in the next few days. My first choice was a cz 455 american synthetic, however edgar bro's are waiting for a delivery and as such pretty much no where has them. I was going to be able to pick it up locally for 325 for the 16" barrel. However delivery to the uk isnt expected until late july, and i just cant neglect my rabbiting permissions for that amount of time (I sold my cz455 varmint .22lr to fund the HMR on the basis of delivery late june)

To that end I can pick up a marlin xt 17 synthetic for 350 with a hogan decimeater moderator. The general concencus seems to be that they are tack driving rifles but just not great build quality and doesnt feel as solid as the cz's etc.

Anyone with first hand experience of this? my logic is im buying it as a tool/work rifle so i dont mind the feel of it as long as its accuracy is sufficient.

Cheers in advance

KS
    Stealthy, like a giraffe on roller-skates....

The trigger will be crap and not something easily cured. Accuracy will be OK. If you need a cheap gun to fill in the gap a Savage or Marlin bolt gun would be a better choice.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    The trigger will be crap and not something easily cured. Accuracy will be OK. If you need a cheap gun to fill in the gap a Savage or Marlin bolt gun would be a better choice.~Muir
    Little confused since the XT-17 is a Marlin bolt gun.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Muir,

As jim said the xt-17 is a bolt gun so unsure there, the trigger is meant to be nigh on the same as the savage accutrigger is it not? In fairness my old cz trigger whilst having zero creep and a lighter spring still wasnt that special....
    Stealthy, like a giraffe on roller-skates....

My first 17hmr was a Marlin - fit for purpose and was accurate enough to bother the bunnies....I made the mistake though of handling an Anschutz about 15mnths later; it was just 'smoother' and I swapped my Marlin in. The Anschutz has a better trigger, smoother bolt, fewer sharp edges - but a smaller magazine. And the Marlin was a lot less expensive.

TBH, for the money being asked, I don't think that you'll go far wrong, esp now that - I believe - they come with the improved trigger mechanism.
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow_Stalker View Post
    Muir,

As jim said the xt-17 is a bolt gun so unsure there, the trigger is meant to be nigh on the same as the savage accutrigger is it not? In fairness my old cz trigger whilst having zero creep and a lighter spring still wasnt that special....
    With good reason. I was some how thinking of the Savage 17WSRM. I should never post before coffee at 0400. ~Muir

(My son has a Marlin 17HMR bolt action. Superbly accurate once the trigger was attended to.)

There is a cz452 in classified just now, can't remember all the details but it might be worth your time. Many prefer the 452 to the 455.

Andy7mm
    "Amazing things can happen when preparation meet opportunity" Richard Schatz

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran