Temperature

While it was warm in the office yesterday, it was still cooler than the digs i'm staying in at the moment as the heating is stuck on full since its the only way they can get hot water, I've been told they are getting a pumber out in the next few weeks.

Temperature didn't fall below 20°C overnight last night ; 02.45 start on the rabbits, countryside lit by a beautiful full moon, sun up and hot from the off.

Finished work for the day now :cool:

Not that it will help, as hot is hot when the country we live in is only geared up for Spring & Autumn, but I saw 51c in UAE a couple of years ago.

Thank The Lord for AC and M&S linen suits!!!

we have been forecast 18deg today thunder and lightning through early morning with hail and rain ,fly's hatching all over so the fish will be rising this evening , so if some of you want to get out of the heat just jump on a plane and head for Shetland dont forget your rod plenty of trout to go around .

Ach at 17C that's "taps aff" weather here in Scotland and as for wearing a polar fleece, bush shirt and beanie at 8C well is that no a bit wimpish? ;)

Make that a bush shirt & beanie at 18C. Then again I still do physical work when its 50C (in the shade), I can recall a couple of times when I've been sitting on a machine & thinking "gee I don't feel to well" check the thermometer & see it's in the low 60C's due to the engine. Getting down into 50C ambient is a big difference. It is bloody dangerous though, I've been lucky a few times, but once the temp gets above blood temp (37C) you do need to be careful.

I bet you're all feeling a thirst for a nice cold bitter Aussie beer right now?

Cheers!
Sharkey

Was baling some hay in an old tractor with no air con but a very serviceable glass cab. Nearly passed out. However I go on holiday to get this kind of weather so should hardly complain.

Was baling some hay in an old tractor with no air con but a very serviceable glass cab. Nearly passed out. However I go on holiday to get this kind of weather so should hardly complain.

Are you having enough humidity to get to dew point at night? Most of our hay making happens at night & its best bailed with a bit of dew on it. I love it when you break open a bale of good hay done like this, it reminds me of good tobacco.

Cheers mate.
Sharkey

Make that a bush shirt & beanie at 18C. Then again I still do physical work when its 50C (in the shade), I can recall a couple of times when I've been sitting on a machine & thinking "gee I don't feel to well" check the thermometer & see it's in the low 60C's due to the engine. Getting down into 50C ambient is a big difference. It is bloody dangerous though, I've been lucky a few times, but once the temp gets above blood temp (37C) you do need to be careful.

I bet you're all feeling a thirst for a nice cold bitter Aussie beer right now?

Cheers!
Sharkey

Was reading this with interest until I came to the bit about Aussie beer, that's not beer, it looks like something a horse had passed through its kidneys, tastes pretty much like it too, at least the stuff we get over here.

Seriously don't you guys make a proper dark beer, not lager which you all seem to drink or at least that's the impression we get over here.

Working in Yorkshire yesterday and it was 33 deg. Got home last night and it was 21 deg ! We had s huge storm last night with torrential rain, thunder and lightening. You would never know this morning though. Dry as a bone.

Was reading this with interest until I came to the bit about Aussie beer, that's not beer, it looks like something a horse had passed through its kidneys, tastes pretty much like it too, at least the stuff we get over here.

Seriously don't you guys make a proper dark beer, not lager which you all seem to drink or at least that's the impression we get over here.

I don't know anyone who drinks a lager (we just make if for export to you folks) some folks still drink draught beer & a few drink cold filtered, but its mostly bitter or dry beer everywhere.

Dark beers are generally drunk by the serious alcoholics, you know the ones who can't eat solids any more. I have know several blokes who have survived on nothing other than dark beer & yogurt for nearly a decade.

Sharkey

Well we never got the heatwave that was forecast yesterday, never got above 23 centigrade and today is dull and muggy, next few days set for the same muggy with thundery showers,

Not been much of a summer so far up here, started of cold and wet, now its warm and wet, last of the snow is still lingering on the hills, hope we get a blink of sun before the first snow arrives on the hills again, which is usually mid October.

Sharkey, making hay for me is rather stressful. I have a small place so contractors are not terribly interested in coming out. Consequently I bought a mower and tedder in order to do as much as I can without needing them. But as I work away from the farm for most of the day I am very much at the mercy of the weather. You may have a degree of certainty over the weather whereas we have non. Anyway as a consequence of these 'excuses' I bale whenever it is dry enough to do so and have made some of the worst hay in the Uk over the last couple of years. Just to add to the excuses, I keep breaking the equipment. Know what you mean about the smell though.

Sharkey, making hay for me is rather stressful. I have a small place so contractors are not terribly interested in coming out. Consequently I bought a mower and tedder in order to do as much as I can without needing them. But as I work away from the farm for most of the day I am very much at the mercy of the weather. You may have a degree of certainty over the weather whereas we have non. Anyway as a consequence of these 'excuses' I bale whenever it is dry enough to do so and have made some of the worst hay in the Uk over the last couple of years. Just to add to the excuses, I keep breaking the equipment. Know what you mean about the smell though.

As long as they eat it.

I have a few tricks like urea for getting the protein levels up & molasses for palatability & carbo's. This has saved me a couple of times in drought. When we have a drought fibre is the hardest thing to chase, as urea is always available & relatively cheap.

If they are fussy, trade them in for sambar. Having the broadest dietary range of any other herbivore. Just think, 240kg goats!

Cheers!
Sharkey

I don't know anyone who drinks a lager (we just make if for export to you folks) some folks still drink draught beer & a few drink cold filtered, but its mostly bitter or dry beer everywhere.

Dark beers are generally drunk by the serious alcoholics, you know the ones who can't eat solids any more. I have know several blokes who have survived on nothing other than dark beer & yogurt for nearly a decade.

Sharkey

OK just goes to show how impressions can be wrong, also how things can have a different meaning from one country to another, what we would class as a dark beer is bitter, my beer of choice would be a draught bitter.

Bottle beers are more often drunk by the younger generation and lager is popular with them.

What's a dry beer? not a term I have come across before.

What would you class as dark beer ? Guinness or similar ? these come under the heading stout.

Well we never got the heatwave that was forecast yesterday, never got above 23 centigrade and today is dull and muggy, next few days set for the same muggy with thundery showers,

Not been much of a summer so far up here, started of cold and wet, now its warm and wet, last of the snow is still lingering on the hills, hope we get a blink of sun before the first snow arrives on the hills again, which is usually mid October.

Sounds like perfect midge weather boggy dull and muggy.

Been a scorcher yesterday, but as luck would have it I spent a nice afternoon outside on the deck next to my workshop under the shade of a large umbrella with a nice cold drink :D

Off again tonight to meet clients and stalking on the bucks until late Sunday night, should put me back home at about just after midnight :rolleyes:

Weather keeps up like this I think we may have an early Roe rut on the cards. But we will have to wait and see.

I was down in London on Tuesday when it was around 34/35'C..... When it's that hot, I think that about the only thing less comfortable to be wearing than a suit and tie would be a full suit of armour.....

Back