good knife

Russ

Go for a stainless option if you get a frosts as the carbon ones despite being easy to keep sharp, are very susceptible to staining.

The frosts Clippers are good knives, I can butcher a fallow with one before it needs sharpening. But buy the orange one, I stupidly bought the green one, the orange are easier to find.

But I was bought one of these Mora Kniv 2000's for Christmas; http://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/frostsmora.htm It is a really good, extremely sharp knife. Easy to keep sharp too! I believe they are worth the extra, even with the leather loop on the sheath. At £22.00 it's a bargain.

ft

If it's a realy cheap knife that keeps a good edge:D& you can confidently gralloch a deer with, try an opinel #9 or 10:thumb:
Cheap as chips so if lost:doh: no great loss:D
Atb..
Moe...

Totally agree re Opinals - only problem with them is that their handles get a bit slippery if covered in blood or wet and you have to be careful hand doesn't slip forward.

Russ,

I use a Buck diamondback and it is excellent, rubberised non slip and dishwasher proof handles, Cost approx£25.

Also keep a flur orange Frost in motor luggage compartment just in case, excellent, cheap and v sharp.

I have a superb folder, Colt: Arthur Carter, v sharp and bees knees when paunching rabbits, takes v good edge

D

FWIW I find the Finn Bear by Cold Steel has a better feel in the hand than the Frost knives, good grip and the blade keeps a good edge. Very light weight but not lightweight performance! http://www.heinnie.com/5f9Ykg984097/Knives/Cold-Steel/Cold-Steel-Finn-Bear/p-92-127-2522/

At £15 you can't go wrong! :D

View attachment 923

defo agree with this, I have a clipper, finnbear and 2 opinel and prefer the finnbear. Plus heinnie delivered it the next day. Excellent company imo.

Just bought a Finn Bear on the strength of this thread. It's not a huge amount, but £15 wasted in these tough times is not good. However, first impressions are favourable.

Last edited:
Just bought a Finn Bear on the strength of this thread. It's not a huge amount, but £15 wasted in these tough times is not good. However, first impressions are good.

Kevin,

If it doesn't do exactly what it says on the tin/sheath, then I'll stand you a good dram. ;)

(otherwise you can treat me for the recommendation!). ;);)

FWIW I find the Finn Bear by Cold Steel has a better feel in the hand than the Frost knives, good grip and the blade keeps a good edge. Very light weight but not lightweight performance! http://www.heinnie.com/5f9Ykg984097/Knives/Cold-Steel/Cold-Steel-Finn-Bear/p-92-127-2522/

At £15 you can't go wrong! :D

I've been usuing a Cold steel Finnwolf for over a year now.

Great knife, holds a good edge and is great for bleeding;

finn-wolf-20pw.jpg

ikea 4" balde , by mora, look in the cutlery section ! ( full tanged/black handle ) sharp as f**c, superb stainless , just make yourself a sheath, £6.99 !! you will be amaised, mine has done at least 4 seasons now & dozens & dozens of complete field cleans.

Last edited:
cheers guys iv been looking at frost knives

I'll second the Frost knives. I've used them for years. They hold a good edge, and are ideally suited to field dressing anything you're likely to encounter. I usually buy a few on ebay of all places for around £10 each.

ikea 4" balde , by mora, look in the cutlery section ! ( full tanged/black handle ) sharp as f**c, superb stainless , just make yourself a sheath, £6.99 !! you will be amaised, mine has done at least 4 seasons now & dozens & dozens of complete field cleans.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know they're made by Mora? I'm quite tempted to buy one now :doh:

I'll second the Frost knives. I've used them for years. They hold a good edge, and are ideally suited to field dressing anything you're likely to encounter. I usually buy a few on ebay of all places for around £10 each.

I think you'll find that Ebay stopped knife sales :mad:

The 3 knives I take with me are all Moras (formerly known as Frosts): the Mora 2000, Mora 2010 and a Clipper, my preferred one is the 2010 since the handle is rubbery and sheath has no leather bits

Back