Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .17HMR Winchester ammo - is it working?

.17HMR Winchester ammo - is it working?

On the suggestion of Mr Gain here we go. . .

As we all keep reading .17HMR ammo quality has fallen over the years with split cases and in some instances squib rounds which has resulted in serious damage to some rifles. Having been shooting the .17HMR for eleven years I've experienced it. It seems the finger of this decline is pointed again and again at CCI who apparently make .17HMR ammo for all brands. Well they used to until Winchester after, we assume, being implicated with inferior ammo moved away from CCI and now make their own .17HMR ammo. I am lead to understand this happened over the last two years sometime, not quite sure when.

Winchester claim . . .
    "Stronger shoulder for improved case integrity"
    "More efficient powder for reduced pressures and consistent velocities"
    "Stronger rim maximizes head strength, and proprietary priming mix results in consistent ignition"

Personally along with others I know who use this ammunition have found the above to be true and as yet after many thousand rounds have had no problem with squib rounds although a few cracked cases still occur after firing. Velocities over the chronograph seem in line with their advertised 2,550 ft/sec and seem relatively consistent. With other brands I could get velocity ranges of up to 200 ft/sec or more!

Accuracy wise from CZ 452 Varmint, 530mm / 20 3/4" barrel (moderated) I still get 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I think that is perfectly acceptable.

It's worth pointing out that there is still some old CCI made Winchester ammo floating about and although I can't be sure of the serial numbers the new Winchester .17HMR ammo to look for has the following serial numbers and this is the stuff that seems to be working for us.

Varmint HV - CS17HMR1 - V-max - 17gr
    Super-X - CX17HMR1 - Jacketed Hollow Point - 20gr

The big question is if you have used Winchester 17 or 20 grain ammo what have your experiences been?
    You never know we might have found a reliable brand!?

Following page taken from the Winchester brochure. . .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester 17HMR.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	331.1 KB 
ID:	58717
    Picture shows a slab of 250 rounds but they come in the red boxes of 50

Hi deer man,

Slightly off topic here as I havnt actually used winchester yet, but im intreagued to know if the winchesters are the same sort of price as the other ammo brands or wether they have a slight premium now to offset their machining and equipment costs?

cheers

KS
    Stealthy, like a giraffe on roller-skates....

This week I heard of another HMR going pop defective round and shooter didn't realise and fired another one. Theese incidents must be reported to your local trading standards

D

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    This week I heard of another HMR going pop defective round and shooter didn't realise and fired another one. Theese incidents must be reported to your local trading standards

D
    Presumably that is exactly what you have done when you have had a problem with .17hmr ammo Cyres. What did your local trading standards say and what was the outcome of your complaint?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by The deer man View Post

You never know we might have found a reliable brand!?

Well, you have a 50/50 shot at it.~Muir

Even though trading standards have the remit to chase this sort of quality issue, they don't have responsibility for looking to see if your rifle is clear, when such issues are known globally.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow_Stalker View Post
    Hi deer man,

Slightly off topic here as I havnt actually used winchester yet, but im intreagued to know if the winchesters are the same sort of price as the other ammo brands or wether they have a slight premium now to offset their machining and equipment costs?

cheers

KS
    I think they were 11/50 however a new delivery is coming in this week so I'll confirm that later.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post

D
    And what were the rounds used?

Ive bought a box off 50 Winchester ive used half and Refuse to use the rest

Tight bolt closes tight bolt lifts Several miss fires one needed 3 strikes

and several massive Full length splits after firing

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    Ive bought a box off 50 Winchester ive used half and Refuse to use the rest

Tight bolt closes tight bolt lifts Several miss fires one needed 3 strikes

and several massive Full length splits after firing
    My shooting buddy has old old batch he had in his safe for some time as well as new old batch he bought a few weeks ago and new new batch bought at the same time.
    Rifle is an Anschutz 1517
    I was with him when he did his side by side comparisons, there is no consistency between any of the old batch, accuracy is acceptable if you intend to body shoot rabbits but not good enough for headshots at 100yds
    Thsre were around 3% case splits with both batches and one phut.
    The new ammo was not tested as the bolt could not be closed on it and my mate was not going to force it, on examination a bright ring could be seen 2/3rds of the way around the case where the shoulder starts.

Ian.