Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fac been granted

Fac been granted

Hi all i am on the look out for a 223 not sure what make or model; yet i have fired afew rifles Howa, Remington and a tikka all very nice but any advice would be grateful, ive been told to buy new but im on limited funds so new is out the question, Also im on the look out for a semi auto 22rm.
    223 for foxes/muntjac and 22rm and 17hmr for rabbits
    I live in West Yorkshire and if anyone has a bargain that is sitting in there cabinet i am willing to travel, I shot left handed so an ambi or left handed stock would be great.
    Regards Stan
    Last edited by stan1664; 02-07-2015 at 20:19.

Stan
    if you state what you want the rifles for you will get better advice of what to look for !

My advice is unless you are messing about don't get a semi .22, if your target shooting or hunting a bolt action wont have stoppages like all semi's do, and small mags take less time to charge

Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    Stan
    if you state what you want the rifles for you will get better advice of what to look for !

My advice is unless you are messing about don't get a semi .22, if your target shooting or hunting a bolt action wont have stoppages like all semi's do, and small mags take less time to charge
    +1 on the semi-auto comment. I bought a Ruger 10-22 semi auto as soon as my FAC came through. Traded it in 3 months later. The bolt cycling is so noisy that it makes the silence of a .22 pointless and the number of stoppages mean that you're never truly confident that there's a round in the chamber. Stick to a bolt action for hunting but make sure you get the variation noted on your licence (another mistake I made!!).

On the .223 I have a howa action with one of the stock upgrades they sell. Great rifle. Better if you're in Scotland and so can take Roe with them too though. In your neck of the woods only really a foxing rifle but a great calibre - so comfortable to shoot and very available ammunition.

Splash
    223 for fox control and 22 and 17 hmr for rabbits
    Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    Stan

RuralLondoner
    223 is for mainly for foxes and some muntjac but 22rm is for bunnies

Quote Originally Posted by RuralLondoner View Post
    +1 on the semi-auto comment. I bought a Ruger 10-22 semi auto as soon as my FAC came through. Traded it in 3 months later. The bolt cycling is so noisy that it makes the silence of a .22 pointless and the number of stoppages mean that you're never truly confident that there's a round in the chamber. Stick to a bolt action for hunting but make sure you get the variation noted on your licence (another mistake I made!!).

On the .223 I have a howa action with one of the stock upgrades they sell. Great rifle. Better if you're in Scotland and so can take Roe with them too though. In your neck of the woods only really a foxing rifle but a great calibre - so comfortable to shoot and very available ammunition.

Sako quad for your rimfire or Finnfire if you want a .22LR (I'm presuming from your OP that you applied for a .22WMR)

For the .223 any Sako or Tikka will delight you, the older Sakos are beautiful rifles and Tikka 595's are almost indestructible
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by stan1664 View Post
    RuralLondoner
    223 is for mainly for foxes and some muntjac but 22rm is for bunnies
    Use my .223 on Munties - absolutely perfect for the job. They're tough as old boots but the .223 bowls them over nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by stan1664 View Post
    Hi all i am on the look out for a 223 not sure what make or model; yet i have fired afew rifles Howa, Remington and a tikka all very nice but any advice would be grateful, ive been told to buy new but im on limited funds so new is out the question, Also im on the look out for a semi auto 22rm. 223 for foxes/muntjac and 22rm and 17hmr for rabbits I live in West Yorkshire and if anyone has a bargain that is sitting in there cabinet i am willing to travel, I shot left handed so an ambi or left handed stock would be great. Regards Stan
    If you're Lefthanded buy LH. It makes no sense to buy something which doesn't suit you.

You might also consider getting a micro-action fitted to the cartridge rather than a standard size action to save unnecessary weight & bulk. Tikka, Howa, etc. aren't any more accurate than CZ in sporter form.

There was a CZ527 on sale recently.

For Sale: full left handed .223 cz527 low shot count
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Regular Poster
    I use an Anschutz 525 S/A for rabbits - it was cheap and although a little noisier than I'd like, I've had good results with it. I'd advise against getting a S/A though as you're left handed and they tend to eject in that direction. Go for a CZ452 or an old BRNO in the .22LR

My .223 was new and quite expensive in comparison - I went for an RWS Titan 3 - didn't like the synthetic stock and was grateful when I swapped it for a wooden one on here.
    The CZ looks and feels really cheap in comparison (my mate has one) but they're accurate and reliable and easy to get hold of.

I'd go down the CZ route.

Got a .22lr Brno Model-2 and and .223Rem CZ527 American. Really enjoy shooting both
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"