Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Rifle thread - Follow-up

Double Rifle thread - Follow-up

No not that kind of follow-up!

Reivers excellent OP had 3963 views but 58 replies. Clearly a massive interest in the thread,

Does that indicate a lot of people wonder what these old boys are getting excited about or is there a serious interest in these rifles?

Was wondering.

I'm interested myself. I don't own one and not sure I ever will (finances being a consideration), but a part of me would like to have one....

Not really sure how a double rifle stacks up for the hunting style the vast majority of posters seem to post here.

It seems every time there is a double rifle post there is connotations of hunting DG in Africa or some driven boar hunt at 40 yards on the continent. My double get used out to 250 metres stalking no problems. The second barrel is only for follow up which generally is a non issue with the 9.3. Having said that I've taken out multi-running targets with it as well.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

Quote Originally Posted by mchughcb View Post
    Not really sure how a double rifle stacks up for the hunting style the vast majority of posters seem to post here.

It seems every time there is a double rifle post there is connotations of hunting DG in Africa or some driven boar hunt at 40 yards on the continent. My double get used out to 250 metres stalking no problems. The second barrel is only for follow up which generally is a non issue with the 9.3. Having said that I've taken out multi-running targets with it as well.
    I've looked at and handled the blaser double rifle. I'm sure its a very accurate rifle but, I think its one ugly lump of a thing.

Which double, the sxs or the u/o?

Quote Originally Posted by mchughcb View Post
    Which double, the sxs or the u/o?
    The sxs I'm referring to. The o/u looks OK.

o/u handles better in my opinion and certainly from a combination barrel set is much handier.

My first .375 was a SxS by H&H, which I lucked up on at an estate auction during a blizzard, with almost no one there, and bought it for a fraction of its value. The infected me. I later bought a combination gun in 16/8x57JRS and now a very light little 1920s 20/7x57R.

Would love a double in .444 Marlin, .30-30, or .303 Enfield, which I could use for much stalking. But a .450/400 would be a fun toy. I know a fellow who collects and trades SxS rifles by WR, H&H, and Purdey, so get to handle some extraordinary old pieces.

Doubles can be lots of fun, but extremely trying if you dont have that magical recipe to get the barrels to regulate.
    I recently had a successful trip for black bear in northern Alberta, where I used a blackpowder hammer-gun in 577/500no.2. It took me a year and a bit to piece together all the components and find a good load that regulates well, even at the standard fifty yards. In the last week before my trip, I finally developed a decent duplex load using paper-patched cast bullets. It's a great feeling when it all comes together to produce a successful hunt!
    Being a slow-learner , I jumped right back into the fray, and picked up another double, this time in a 9.3x74 o/u. All the loads I had developed for my sxs in the same caliber wouldnt shoot a 4" group at fifty yards, and I find myself back to school to find another workable load.

Quote Originally Posted by browning525 View Post
    Doubles can be lots of fun, but extremely trying if you dont have that magical recipe to get the barrels to regulate.
    I recently had a successful trip for black bear in northern Alberta, where I used a blackpowder hammer-gun in 577/500no.2. It took me a year and a bit to piece together all the components and find a good load that regulates well, even at the standard fifty yards. In the last week before my trip, I finally developed a decent duplex load using paper-patched cast bullets. It's a great feeling when it all comes together to produce a successful hunt!
    Being a slow-learner , I jumped right back into the fray, and picked up another double, this time in a 9.3x74 o/u. All the loads I had developed for my sxs in the same caliber wouldnt shoot a 4" group at fifty yards, and I find myself back to school to find another workable load.
    Interesting stories.

How about posting a picture ? (in Reivers thread)

Ade