Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not photos, but a question relating to photography..

Not photos, but a question relating to photography..

..I have decided to treat myself to a decent camera & lens (mainly for outdoor / wildlife pics) but am a bit confused about getting the best software.

Several people (both friends and family) have recommended Photoshop Elements 13 - but trying to buy it seems very complicated because why are the boxed software sets vary from 40+ up to 80+ for what seems the same thing, the software licence download is below 30 in Germany but much more here, and some of the adverts state "one user, valid for one year" - so is there an annual fee?

I would be very grateful for some advice please.

Thanks in advance

Iain
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Firstly it would be helpful to know what you want to achieve with the software.

Adobe (& Apple) offer big discounts if you are in education & you wouldn't be the first person to enrol in a cheap course & then go out & get a Mac laptop, full version of Photoshop & an i-phone for about half price! The variation in prices that you are seeing may include the educational discount or are last years model. Last years model isn't necessarily a bad thing; I stopped upgrading Photoshop a couple of years ago after probably 1200 of upgrades on top of the original price of 600. The latest improvements don't really impact on me & most people are so annoyed by Adobe switching to monthly payments rather than an outright purchase option that if there was another sensible option they would take it.

Many printers & cameras come bundled with Photoshop elements & that might be with investigating.

I have an old, unused version that came with a camera you can have if you don't have anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    Firstly it would be helpful to know what you want to achieve with the software.

Adobe (& Apple) offer big discounts if you are in education & you wouldn't be the first person to enrol in a cheap course & then go out & get a Mac laptop, full version of Photoshop & an i-phone for about half price! The variation in prices that you are seeing may include the educational discount or are last years model. Last years model isn't necessarily a bad thing; I stopped upgrading Photoshop a couple of years ago after probably 1200 of upgrades on top of the original price of 600. The latest improvements don't really impact on me & most people are so annoyed by Adobe switching to monthly payments rather than an outright purchase option that if there was another sensible option they would take it.

Many printers & cameras come bundled with Photoshop elements & that might be with investigating.

I have an old, unused version that came with a camera you can have if you don't have anything else.
    Many thanks for the reply and for the kind offer.

I am not in education or on any course and am mainly interested in simple (?) photo enhancement of light and colours, some coloured item highlighted on black and white photos and the removal of some area or object that otherwise spoils a good photo - so far from the whizz bang glorification that some of the software can do?

I would like to take the old version that you have and would gladly cover postage costs and / or make a donation to H4H (or similar)?
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Just pm me your address; I'm off to the PO within the next hour anyway

Have you tried GIMP? It's an open source photo editor similar to Photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by nicowilson View Post
    Have you tried GIMP? It's an open source photo editor similar to Photoshop
    Having not used this I did a quick image search for Gimp; not for the faint-hearted!

Just pm me your address; I'm off to the PO within the next hour anyway
    Details sent.

Many thanks.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Adobe (& Apple) offer big discounts if you are in education & you wouldn't be the first person to enrol in a cheap course & then go out & get a Mac laptop, full version of Photoshop & an i-phone for about half price!
    +1 - my wife (who is the marketing professional in the Willie_Gunn household) did just this, purchasing Photoshop when she was doing her accountancy course.

Personally I don't use Photoshop, but instead use a Freeware application called FSViewer, which lets you do simple image manipulation without all the bells and whistles. For the type of photos I take this is more than adequate. In fact I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do. So in general my advice would be to start with FSViewer or something similar and try that out before investing in licensable software.
    On the iPad I have an app called Photogene.

If you end up buying a Nikon then you can use NXCapture and NXView, though to be honest I no longer use these since I downloaded FSViewer.
    McKenzie's kind offer is, of course, the best of both worlds

Hope this helps

Dom
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Having not used this I did a quick image search for Gimp; not for the faint-hearted!
    Fair point!

Quote Originally Posted by nicowilson View Post
    Fair point!
    Did management start a new sub section, Doh!! did I say SUB?????
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!