Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Australia - any info or experiences about shooting down under?

Australia - any info or experiences about shooting down under?

I will be travelling to Australia at the end of the month to start working for a year. Haven't got a job lined up but I may get lucky! I was wondering if anybody on here has any knowledge, experiences, or contacts about shooting over there. I've been travelling for 6 months now and it is safe to say I miss shooting and my dogs like mad! Would be nice to get an opportunity to get a few shots off whilst I'm down under.

Searching online there seems to be lots of options, but it mostly involves large trophy fees etc, but I know Australia has a huge amount of so called pest animals, surely these can't be too expensive to hunt. I've read about goats, boar, foxes, rabbits, even camel and deer causing problems to native species and the environment; so I'm hoping there my be an affordable option to hunt over there and get some good game.

I'm 23, a passionate wildfowler, have been deer stalking whenever I can since 18 years old, and have been involved with pest control since a very young age. So I have experience and knowledge, and am confident with firearms.

Any information, contacts, or just general advice about shooting and hunting in Australia would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Byron.

If you get a job on a farm for a while im sure you will get the chance for some shooting - probably Roo at high speed off the back of a truck or shooting cattle for the summers meat! that was my experience.. A good agency is Rural Enterprises | Farming Jobs Australia | Farming Work Australia | Rural Recruitment | Farm Workers | Agriculture Jobs in Australia

Good luck

Any idea where you are going to be in AU? That will have a big impact on the answer

Make sure you have a work visa or you won't make it out of the airport, they are pretty hot on people rocking up on tourist visa's and looking for work, and their firearms laws are a bit tricky,
    would pay to have a job lined up before you arrive,

Have you organised your visitors firearms permit for the states you intend to visit?

If not is a waste of time to discuss this any further (I think I've been through visitors permits on here before a few times). If yes, & you are stopping over in Sydney then I may be able to extend you some access.

Sharkey
    Last edited by sharkey; 05-07-2015 at 14:07.
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    Have you organised your visitors firearms permit for the states you intend to visit?

If not is a waste of time to discuss this any further (I think I've been through visitors permits on here before a few times). If yes, & you are stopping over in Sydney then I may be able to extend you some access.

Sharkey
    Not sure they will issue in the month before you go, but if you get the permits in place, that's an offer you cant refuse, I would also have a word to find out if Sharkey needs anything easily available in the UK to feed his 'Full Irish breakfast habit'..as a fair swap is no robbery.
    Last edited by rick6point5; 06-07-2015 at 09:34. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by rick6point5 View Post
    Not sure they will issue in the month before you go, but if you get the permits in place, that's an offer you cant refuse, I would also have a word to find out if Sharkey needs anything easily available in the UK to feed his 'Full Irish breakfast habit'..as a fair swap is no robbery.
    Cheers mate! I have a grin from ear to ear as I'm reading this. I did scratch that itch & I wasn't disappointed at all, in fact potato bread exceeded my recollection.

We have some silly firearms laws in NSW which doesn't encourage visitors I'm afraid. Simple changes which would simplify the situation without any increase of risk has been put to the parliamentary advisory committee & the firearms registry on several occasions. It requires a change in legislation (act of parliament) not just regulation to bring this about. If we open the door to amending the act there would also be a rush from other stakeholders for their own equally important changes, not to ignore the possibility of the antis swinging the debate their own way. IMO the change is necessary & worth the risk, we just have to await the opportunity & manage the risks wisely.

Overseas visitors currently need a genuine reason to obtain a visitors firearms permit in NSW. This reason can be for competition, or an organised club event ( hunting can be an organised club event). A "promise of business" with a licensed safari operator is also a genuine reason (this also allows the operator to do some of the negotiation with the firearms registry on the clients behalf). A safari operator requires not just one but several licences with various government departments & also membership with an approved industry association, insurance, etc. Apologies to those who think hunting fees are expensive, but I don't know many wealthy hunting guides.

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Thanks for everybody's replies.
    Last edited by BT Ron KWCA; 07-07-2015 at 10:15.

Quote Originally Posted by RifleTuner View Post
    Any idea where you are going to be in AU? That will have a big impact on the answer
    I'll be landing in Sydney, probably spend a considerable amount of time around NSW and Victoria.

Thanks, I'll have a good look at these links Sussex stalker.