Thread: Oh dear, the variation doesn't look so good!

Oh dear, the variation doesn't look so good!

As you may remember I recently put in a variation for .338 Win Mag to use abroad and to stalk Deer with in the UK. I had some ground lined up to support it and a good idea what rifle I wanted. Well I e-mailed my licensing manager yesterday and got a reply this morning.... The certificate is in the post?

Some may say this is good, but I've heard nothing of the land check! How can it come back with the new calibre on if they haven't been out to check the ground? It has been cleared in the past but the last guy was only looking to use a .243. Would they have added details to say it was safe for anything (it's a huge valley so you could fire a .50 into it without bother!) or is it likely that as it was passed for .243 they will turn it down?

I'm eagerly awaiting posty!

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    As you may remember I recently put in a variation for .338 Win Mag to use abroad and to stalk Deer with in the UK. I had some ground lined up to support it and a good idea what rifle I wanted. Well I e-mailed my licensing manager yesterday and got a reply this morning.... The certificate is in the post?

Some may say this is good, but I've heard nothing of the land check! How can it come back with the new calibre on if they haven't been out to check the ground? It has been cleared in the past but the last guy was only looking to use a .243. Would they have added details to say it was safe for anything (it's a huge valley so you could fire a .50 into it without bother!) or is it likely that as it was passed for .243 they will turn it down?

I'm eagerly awaiting posty!

Have you already got an "Open Certificate"? They may have given it with the "Ground with which you have legal authority to shoot over", surprised if they did though, especially for a .338

TJ

I do have an open FAC, and an "other legal quarry" wording. In theory I can shoot anything anywhere with my rifles but they wanted some land to attatch it to for the initial grant of the calibre. He said they do it with all guns and because I've exceeded the 6.5x55 energy levels that my previous ground could cover they wanted something bigger to show for the .338. Fair enough I guess, it just proves I have at least one place where they can see it can be used safely?

They did slip up a bit by giving me a .300 Win Mag without more ground checks. Perhaps that was because my old ground was cleared up to .30?

I really hope I have got it. There's a lovely .338 Tikka T3 Hunter for sale at the moment and I'd love to grab that!

Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    I do have an open FAC, and an "other legal quarry" wording. In theory I can shoot anything anywhere with my rifles but they wanted some land to attatch it to for the initial grant of the calibre. He said they do it with all guns and because I've exceeded the 6.5x55 energy levels that my previous ground could cover they wanted something bigger to show for the .338. Fair enough I guess, it just proves I have at least one place where they can see it can be used safely?

They did slip up a bit by giving me a .300 Win Mag without more ground checks. Perhaps that was because my old ground was cleared up to .30?

I really hope I have got it. There's a lovely .338 Tikka T3 Hunter for sale at the moment and I'd love to grab that!
    Slips are very easily made!............."Anything, Anywhere"
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!