Thread: Mixed Ammo

Mixed Ammo

Hi all,

If i mix up my ammo say 243 90g and 50g same manufacturer and it not in the correct box how can I tell them apart.

Long drag.

Might sound stupid, but try weighing them... Logically the 90gr will be heavier given the bigger round and similar powder
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Try to get the manufacturer specifications for the overall length of the cartridge in either gr bullet. Then get some vernier calipres and measure the length. There will more likely than not be a difference and its usually the lighter grain bullet is seated deeper giving a shorter overall length. Be sure to get the information from the manufacture website though

KS
    Stealthy, like a giraffe on roller-skates....

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow_Stalker View Post
    Try to get the manufacturer specifications for the overall length of the cartridge in either gr bullet. Then get some vernier calipres and measure the length. There will more likely than not be a difference and its usually the lighter grain bullet is seated deeper giving a shorter overall length. Be sure to get the information from the manufacture website though

KS
    Seriously??
    You wouldn't just weigh them? ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Long drag View Post
    Hi all,

If i mix up my ammo say 243 90g and 50g same manufacturer and it not in the correct box how can I tell them apart.

Long drag.
    Set up a large target at say 300 yards. Fire each round and note the point of impact. Regards JCS

Sorry for asking, but the best answer is the lenght thanks KS.

There is no reloading over here and I do not have proper weighing scales.

Muir, yes i would consider weighing but that option had already been discussed. I chucked the measuring out there as an alternative as the OP may not have had the facilities to weigh, and as it has transpired I was correct.
    Hope that sorts you out drag :-)

KS
    Stealthy, like a giraffe on roller-skates....

Quote Originally Posted by Long drag View Post
    Sorry for asking, but the best answer is the lenght thanks KS.

There is no reloading over here and I do not have proper weighing scales.

I can't imagine that no one would have a balance scale of any sort. School science lab?? Pharmacist??
    I know! Find a drug dealer! ~Muir.

balance them on your knife blade ,the heavier ones will tip nearer the bullet ,sorted 150 and 180 30-06 when mixed up in my putting them in the wrong coat pocket