Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why?

why?

So, I have thought about this many times and I cannot think of a good reason, so I am asking forum members the question.
    Why can I go into a gunshop anywhere in the UK and buy expanding misiles, powder and primers face to face, without them being entered onto my FAC, I can also buy expanding misiles from the EU by post.
    Yet I cannot buy any of the above by post in the UK? is there a logical reason for this?

No, no logical reason at all.
    almost be worth reloading solutions or some similar retailer having a warehouse in Calais so we could mail order with ease!

I thought expanding bullets did have to be entered on your FAC? Hence why they take up part of your allowance.

I do agree though about not being able to buy them by post as you can have them shipped to your door from abroad.

I would guess that powder and primers can't be delivered by your standard postman due to the "explosive" fire risk posed and so the cost is prohibitive. Similarly you can't send certain batteries by post unless the're installed in a device due to the fire risk???

AaaH!!, back to the Fiefdom thing again, some county forces stress this to be gospel, some RFD's do not express a preference, no one really knows the truth do they?, back to the grey area again then?..... We are the only ones required to demonstrate "Good reason".... Those set above us can do/ decide what they like! The loonies have charge of the madhouse after all!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Can you buy expanding missiles from Europe and have them sent home ??

I didn't realise that was legal ??

Cheers & ATVB

Philip
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Hannams won't let ya have primers without showing your ticket
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by levigsp View Post
    Why can I go into a gunshop anywhere in the UK and buy expanding missiles, powder and primers face to face, without them being entered onto my FAC,
    Regarding the expanding bullets/missiles, if RFDs are not entering them onto purchaser's FACs then they need to get up to speed with the latest Home Office Guidance before they come a cropper!

Under the 2002 version it was the case that there was no requirement make an entry as per 3.17:

It is not
    necessary for the dealer making the sale to
    record transactions of expanding bullets on
    the certificate but the sale should be recorded
    in the dealerís register.

The latest version of the HO Guidance (v.13) has turned that on it's head in 3.23:

The dealer making
    the sale must record transactions of expanding ammunition on the certificate and the sale
    must also be recorded in the dealerís register.

I can also buy expanding missiles from the EU by post.
    Yet I cannot buy any of the above by post in the UK? is there a logical reason for this?
    No, it's bollox that made it's way through Parliament onto the statute books when it should have been stopped, (hunting use that is), and kept in line with the the EU Weapons Directive.

I have absolutely no problem with them being entered on my ticket. I have 200 for 22-250 and .270, so even if I were to buy my full allowance at one time it takes up very little space, but more importantly shows that I'm buying ammunition to prove use of the rifles come renewal
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    but more importantly shows that I'm buying ammunition to prove use of the rifles come renewal
    I was wondering if that old chestnut would resurface!

It 'proves' nothing, other than the fact that something has been written on the FAC. Certainly doesn't give any proof that a rifle is being used. But as has been said before on numerous occasions, if it gives the FAC holder and/or an FEO a warm fuzzy feeling, why not?

I personally prefer the solution to a non-existent problem put forward by a forum member - a big jar of used primers presented to the FEO for counting should keep them happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I personally prefer the solution to a non-existent problem put forward by a forum member - a big jar of used primers presented to the FEO for counting should keep them happy.
    So we should start charging a premium when selling used brass, if the primers are still in