Thread: Swaroski ballistic turret.

Swaroski ballistic turret.

have been looking to get a Swaro Z6i Ballistic Turret. On the website they show one of the reticule options as a graduated reticule. Isn't this the purpose of the BT, to adjust the cross hair for immediate elevation. Why would u need the graduated lines on the reticule?

The markings are all that you need for most shots, and are quicker than turrets.

You can zero it for a load and use the hash marks at full power ( or whatever power you choose to calibrate them), then adjust your zero with the knobs when you change loads, or move the scope from rifle to rifle with. Some Vortex have horizontal scales and vertical BDC with MOA turrets or not. Nikon M-308, M-223, P-223, and P-22 have ballistic reticles and external turrets for this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vortex-db3-9bdc.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	58829

Name:	burris-c4-wind-reticle.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	58830
    Some evenly spaced graduated marks are to help in determining range, like the Burris C4 and the G2 Mil Dot, with custom ballistic turrets to match any load.

Name:	kahles-6x42zfm-reticle.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	58825
    Or you might adjust the elevation turret, and use the horizontal hold off for windage, like the Burris C4 and the Kahles 6x42 ZFM with the US Army #4 reticle.

Thanks. I think I understand all that

QUOTE=Southern;990268]The markings are all that you need for most shots, and are quicker than turrets.

You can zero it for a load and use the hash marks at full power ( or whatever power you choose to calibrate them), then adjust your zero with the knobs when you change loads, or move the scope from rifle to rifle with. Some Vortex have horizontal scales and vertical BDC with MOA turrets or not. Nikon M-308, M-223, P-223, and P-22 have ballistic reticles and external turrets for this.

Some evenly spaced graduated marks are to help in determining range, like the Burris C4 and the G2 Mil Dot, with custom ballistic turrets to match any load.

Or you might adjust the elevation turret, and use the horizontal hold off for windage, like the Burris C4 and the Kahles 6x42 ZFM with the US Army #4 reticle.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    The markings are all that you need for most shots, and are quicker than turrets.

Or you might adjust the elevation turret, and use the horizontal hold off for windage, like the Burris C4 and the Kahles 6x42 ZFM with the US Army #4 reticle.

+1

I have a z6i with Ballistic turret and find it great if you shoot on a range. I also have the ZnikiZ rings on it. If you want to shoot at 400m on the range, just turn the rings to 400m or what ever distance you are and its bang on

Quote Originally Posted by Essex stalker View Post
    I have a z6i with Ballistic turret and find it great if you shoot on a range. I also have the ZnikiZ rings on it. If you want to shoot at 400m on the range, just turn the rings to 400m or what ever distance you are and its bang on
    Thats the part I don't get. If the ballistic turret simply lets you turn the rings to the whatever distance you have set, why do they provide a reticule which has graduated lines on it. Surely you don't need the lines if you have e turret, just turn the rings and aim at the centre of the reticule no?

If my memory serves me right the app ignore the graduated lines and is set just for the dot and cross hair , even if I am wrong no you don't need the graduated lines as they wont mean much on he range. The system is actually very accurate , I used it out to 600 yards having never shot at that distance and was really surprised. What you must remember is you have to guesstimate the windage which is a bit of a downside.......but for deer shooting.....which after all its what the scope was designed for that will not come in to the equation as it was not designed to be a long distance target scope....that was told to me by Swaro themselves.

The application also lets you enter a load and get the odd yardage for each of the vertical hashes, and the wind drift mark to use for that bullet at that MV.
    So you can use it both ways... just like the Nikon P-223 scope.
    The manual.
    http://www.eurooptic.com/PDF/swarovs...cle-manual.pdf

The Burris Ballistic Plex and others like it have vertical hashes which are not evenly spaced, so they come out close to 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards with many loads.
    The E1 Retical has those hashes with little dots for wind hold off.
    The C4 retical has a clean vertical bar with a turret matching the load, and horizontal wind holdoffs, so you shoot to the crosshair.

I run a few Z6 with turrets. All have the 4A reticule and am impressed with it.
    I've taken plenty of animals out to almost 500m. A simple measure, dial, squeeze...
    Personally, I hate a busy scope with line and sh!t going everywhere. To distracting for me...
    The windage could be useful, but for me it would still be estimates of speed, exact direction and even if it changes along the way. How do you measure that correctly?
    If it's blowy enough to make a real difference, I don't take the shot or wait until it calms...

blaire if you are going for a Swaro Z6i with ballistic turret then it only comes with a A4I reticule on it, Go onto the Swarovski ballistic program it will explain it a tad better.